Paki-Top Repair (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Biscuit

Mars Rover Driver Emeritus
SILVER Star
Threads
After sitting outside for over a year :)mad:), my Paki-Top has had the edging and webbing turn to powder from the constant UV exposure.

This includes the webbing that used for the rings to hold the sides in back in their rolled up configuration.

The vinyl itself is fine, and the stitching appears to be holding as well.

Any thoughts on where/how to get this repaired?

The straps for the footman loops should be fixable at home if I can find similar fasteners. I'm mainly concerned about the straps that hold up the side/back panels.

Also any suggestions on replacement webbing materials? I'm debating using tubular climbing webbing as it has a descent UV resistance. It may be possible to use similar metal fasteners for the side straps, then coat them with some seam sealer for tents.

Thoughts? (And if I repair it at home I will start a how-to thread)

A boat canvas / upholstery place should be able to fix everything. It's probably going to be somewhat pricey.

No treatment was applied. (Something I regret) Thankfully the vinyl is still watertight.

I'll have to consider a boat shop, though I am coming up with options I may be able to do on my own.

Hello there
Can you post pictures? What do you mean by webbing? I am sorry I dont understand. Your input here in the form of explanation and pictures would be highly appreciated.. Also.. I can send you replacement straps from here if you want them.
Thanks
Ehsan

What do you guys use for a treatment product for preservation of a top?

Ehsan, I am using the term webbing to describe the straps used to secure the top to the footman loops. I appreciate the offer for new ones, but I will find replacement parts myself as the vehicle was neglected by me.

I will post a picture when I get home.

Also JohnnyC, I'm not sure the vinyl will require the webbing as the canvas would. I may be wrong, or just trying to convince myself this will take less stitching work on my part.
For

vinyl or canvas ...either one can use the Polyester, Nylon or Polypropylene webbings...cotton webbing is very tight and thick and hard to sew...but...the Polyester, Nylon or Polypropylene isnt that bad as most are a one layer weave construction. they can easilly be sewn by hand without that much effort.

or....just remove all the end webbing and put in twist locks in the 3 point on either side...this is the way Kayline used to make their replacement oem tops

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom