PAIR/reed Valve; delete or not to delete? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What’s the consensus on the pair valve? Keep it or delete? I have a ‘94 with a considerable vacuum leak that I traced down to (I believe) the pair valve at this point, my LC will not pass emissions and the idle is high but NM is not very particular with visual inspections so a delete is an option. I replaced all vacuum hoses with OEM and a VSV valve and unclogged all ports so I’m positive my leak isn’t under the intake. My O2 sensors test out fine so I’m pretty sure the code 25 resides within my reed valve.

If you don't need it to pass smog then i see no reason to keep it. Its not like the system was ever used on later models. I think at best it was a stop gap solution to a problem that never really existed. I pulled mine a few years ago. Never saw any performance changes (up or down) and frees up a lot of room in the engine bay.

I do need to pass smog but NM doesn’t have a visual inspection so if I remove it and it still passes emissions without it, I’m ok in other words.

If it is just a vacuum leak you are chasing, then put a BB or the like inside the vacuum hose to the PAIR valve. No vacuum leak, and no obvious sign it's been tinkered with.

Removed mine a few months ago on my '94 with no changes in performance or codes thrown. Instead of plugging the airbox intake I searched for a cap that fit well and was made of metal. Taco Bell cap worked and best of all it was free. Just carefully flattened the inside thread tabs of this cap and used ultra black as a donut shaped sealant inside the cap after wiping brake cleaner on all the surfaces. Let cure 24 hours. Fits perfect, now has a working safety button....and adds 15 horsepower.
100_1744 (2).JPG
100_1743.JPG

While deleting the pair, it's also a good time to relocate your O2 sensors.

IMG_1570.jpg

IMG_1569.jpg

This is what your looking for....it’s as straightforward and painless as possible 🎯

ahh ok gotcha, thank you!

You can find it somewhere on this forum but Toyota sells block off plates under their YR vans. So if you look for the YR plates you’ll get the part number. They are an exact fit for the old O2 locations.

I think these are it :17148-41010

Last edited:
3 final questions lol:
1. Do I need to do a EGR Delete when i remove this PAIR system?
2. Can i just plug the Vacuum line?
3. Will this throw check engine light?

1. no, they are separate systems.
2. yes, plugging vacuum lines is one way to block off vacuum flow to disable systems that rely on vacuum
3. mine didn't, there aren't any sensors on the PAIR shutter valve or pipes, there is a VSV involved, but I don't think it throws codes

Much appreciated, I am in the process of restoring this rig and anything i dont need to put back one would be a time saver lol.

Toyota block off plates were NLA when I tried to get them, but several places sell O2 block off plates, just make sure they are for the correct two stud style. You can choose to block off the original O2 locations or the PAIR injection locations. I moved mine since I used a later style exhaust with one pre and one post cat location. You will not throw codes for PAIR or EGR in a 93 / 94 (non Cali emissions anyway), it's not that smart. You don't have an EGR temp sensor, and you already have the coveted factory EGR temp sensor bypass plug.

Jason

Actually i was able to find and order with that part number, lol we shall see if it fits. I really appreciate all the help/info thus far! I need to figure out the exhaust after i finish all these stupid coolant hoses. I have a 94 and was thinking of getting these headers as the down pipes were rusted through and just replacing the rest of the rusted exhaust with a new one. This will be a weekend trail car so I will get historic tags and not need to pass smog or anything.

What i want to do while i am waiting on parts is to also delete the EGR but lol as i have seen there are many right ups but i cant find any-one/shop that makes and sells block off plates. Also i am not sure clearly based on what I read, to delete and not throw a check engine light. Im still new to the 80 as i have been working on my LX and W126 MERC for the last couple years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom