Pair of hoses by the starter? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am going to tackle replacing the starter and was poking around and looking for "while I'm there" items. I noticed a couple hoses that are seeming pretty worn above the starter. I can see where they connect (maybe trans related?) but no idea where they terminate. Maybe that will become clear once I pull the starter. If anyone knows based on on the photo below, that would be great. I'm hoping OEM is available since they seem molded, but once I figure out what they are I should be able to look that up I think.

Side note, I'm also about replace all the cooling hoses (3 big and 4 small) and I'm seeing tons of hoses up front that I think I'll need to address (Trans and PS I'm assuming)

IMG_9371.jpeg

I beleive they are trans cooler lines, if you track them foward they should go to the lower portion of the radiator.

do you know if they are easily accessible once the starter is removed? It also appears all the transmission hoses are on their last leg, but a lot of them are discontinued.

I replaced with 3/8” oil cooler line, same I used for my power steering. My edges were all cracked.

Just make sure the "oil cooler" hose you replace them with is rated for Hot Oil Service.

Ok, but would't that be true of any transmission oil cooler line?
Well yes, and no, it depends on the material the hose is made out of, some transmission cooler line is rated for higher hot oil temps then others.

Since i live in the desert were this past week the temps were 117 in the shade, and I do my over land camping where few people travel. I like to error on the side of caution, and make sure that the hose i use for replacement is rated for high temp hot oil service. But then again, to me, there is no such thing as overkill.

It may cost a little bit more, but the peace of mind is well worth it when my wife and I are all alone, camping 50 miles from the nearest pavement, with no cell phone service. Cheers

Well yes, and no, it depends on the material the hose is made out of, some transmission cooler line is rated for higher hot oil temps then others.

Since i live in the desert were this past week the temps were 117 in the shade, and I do my over land camping where few people travel. I like to error on the side of caution, and make sure that the hose i use for replacement is rated for high temp hot oil service. But then again, to me, there is no such thing as overkill.

It may cost a little bit more, but the peace of mind is well worth it when my wife and I are all alone, camping 50 miles from the nearest pavement, with no cell phone service. Cheers

Could you post up what brand/type/supplier hose you used? Many of are interested in replacing those old lines, and interested in doing it once and correctly. Overkill is preferred when the cost difference must be pretty minor (what's a few feet of good hose vs. a few feet of excellent hose?)
Thanks.

Here's one option (see link and photo below), handles up to 300'F. There's another brand I've used but dont' recall the name, had a thicker wall than the Gates.

I was unable to find a true 10mm ID hose when I've seached in the past, but 3/8" is ~9.5mm and slips on the pipes fine.

Gates TOC hose.jpg

There are other options that have extra abrasion resistance if that's what you're looking for.

Could you post up what brand/type/supplier hose you used? Many of are interested in replacing those old lines, and interested in doing it once and correctly. Overkill is preferred when the cost difference must be pretty minor (what's a few feet of good hose vs. a few feet of excellent hose?)
Thanks.
I'm getting ready to go out of town for a day to look at some land I'm thinking about buying, but as soon as i get back I'll pull my records and post the info on the hose i used. Sorry for the delay but I've got to help my wife pack 2 suit cases for a simple day trip because she wants to go along. Sometimes i think it would be a whole lot quicker, and easier to just go by myself. :bang:

I'm getting ready to go out of town for a day to look at some land I'm thinking about buying, but as soon as i get back I'll pull my records and post the info on the hose i used. Sorry for the delay but I've got to help my wife pack 2 suit cases for a simple day trip because she wants to go along. Sometimes i think it would be a whole lot quicker, and easier to just go by myself. :bang:
All good, thanks.
Yeah, trips with my wife triple the amount of gear/weight. I get it. Safe trip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom