SOLD Pair of FJ40 front fenders & apron (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

scoobiedubes

SILVER Star
Threads
I've got a big project ahead of me with this FJ28L restoration. One of the things I think I won't be able to save are the front fenders, anybody have a solid set they'd be willing to part with and ship to Phoenix? Trying to stick with OEM rather than getting the aftermarket set, but if I can't find a good set that's the route I'll have to go.

Also might end up needing the fender aprons if anybody has a solid set. PM me, thanks!

Are your braces compatible? IIRC, the 25 braces only had 3 bolts holding to the frame, with a different curvature.

i acquired a pair of 1964 aprons last year, which would have the period-correct braces on them. If you don’t find something else by Monday, leave me a VM at the shop and I will take a pic of them.

Well, sounds like a 40 series set won’t be compatible eh? Any ideas for something that might work?

Are the fender aprons different as well?

My existing fenders might just require some extensive surgery!

Sounds like in 1960 they might have switched fender braces, so maybe I'm in luck. I need to get this thing home and verify, maybe a premature post... stay tuned a few days so I can verify what we're starting with.

If newer braces work, then I think you still want early 40 fenders as they are thicker steel and you don’t see the rust out at the braces like you do on newer fenders. No disrespect to deiselBJ42 but the new replacements will not be as thick

I have purchased new fenders from Dieselbj42 and they are great. I will say that they are not as thick as older fenders which 63cruiser mentioned, however lets face it that will not make a bit of difference. It will spend its life in Arizona and never see bad weather since it is a collector car. They will never rust out. The only issue will be the brace. Is it a 3 or 4 bolt pattern where it bolts to the frame. My fj25's are 1958 and 1959 and they have 3 bolt patterns. Something like your unique FJ28 could go either way. You could also remove your 3 bolt support brace and weld them on to new oem fenders if your braces are good. Just an idea.

Last edited:
I have purchased new fenders from Dieselbj42 and they are great. I will say that they are not as thick as older fenders which 63cruiser mentioned, however lets face it that will not make a bit of difference. It will spend its life in Arizona and never see bad weather since it is a collector car. They will never rust out. The only issue will be the brace. It is a 3 or 4 bolt pattern where it bolts to the frame. My fj25's are 1958 and 1959 and they have 3 bolt patterns. Something like your unique FJ28 could go either way. You could also remove your 3 bolt support brace and weld them on to new oem fenders if your braces are good. Just an idea.

I was thinking about trying to swap in the earlier braces too. But I have to wonder how the thinner metal will react to the welding

I was thinking about trying to swap in the earlier braces too. But I have to wonder how the thinner metal will react to the welding
That is a good point. If you are not careful you would warp the metal fairly easy since it is thin. An experienced guy would not have a problem. You could also Tig Weld them with ease.

Looks like the 28 has 4 bolt fenders. One side actually has 0 bolts and is welded to the frame. :bang:

there’s someone local that has a stash of parts I’m going to go check out early next week. I’ll post here if I don’t find what I need but sounds like there’s a lot of Arizona body parts there so I’m hopeful.

As others have said @dieselbj42 had some OE fenders and he does a great job packing and shipping from Germany. I bought a set for my LV rather than going through the hassle of refurbishing the old ones. There may be a couple of holes your metal shop will have to fill, but other than that they will thank you for clean fenders to start with. It's an easy item to check off the list. ✅

25/28 series used three bolts early then switched to four bolts. All my 25s had four bolts. All 25s are 1960 production. On the aprons not sure if dry element air cleaner models have the spot welded catch for hood latch in the same location as the FJ40 or like the 25 with oil bath and air inlet on the left side. The ones with the inlet the hood is further back.
Also seen your generator wanted thread. I have never come across a 25 series generator. All my 25s either had a alternator or GM generators. All I have ever found were 40 series. Not sure the difference but label had FJ40 on it.

25/28 series used three bolts early then switched to four bolts. All my 25s had four bolts. All 25s are 1960 production. On the aprons not sure if dry element air cleaner models have the spot welded catch for hood latch in the same location as the FJ40 or like the 25 with oil bath and air inlet on the left side. The ones with the inlet the hood is further back.
Also seen your generator wanted thread. I have never come across a 25 series generator. All my 25s either had a alternator or GM generators. All I have ever found were 40 series. Not sure the difference but label had FJ40 on it.
Great info thank you. What kind of alternator would I be looking for then?

I've got a big project ahead of me with this FJ28L restoration. One of the things I think I won't be able to save are the front fenders, anybody have a solid set they'd be willing to part with and ship to Phoenix? Trying to stick with OEM rather than getting the aftermarket set, but if I can't find a good set that's the route I'll have to go.

Also might end up needing the fender aprons if anybody has a solid set. PM me, thanks!
Try Steve at EBI in Port Coquitlam BC. He has OEM fenders really well priced

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom