PAIR Delete and CA Smog (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I wanted to see if anyone out there has experience with deleting the PAIR system and passing smog in CA. I was planning on removing the whole system (resonator, valve, tubes, etc) and using a block-off plate to make it look totally factory. I'm still not sure if I want to move the O2 sensors up to the empty PAIR ports on the manifold, or just leave the sensors and block off the PAIR ports. I understand that this would all still technically be illegal, but would a smog tech doing an inspection even know about the PAIR system being missing if I did it in this way? I mean, it's not like the system was really that common or widespread. Another thing that worries me is that I'm required to go to the STAR smog stations to get the more stringent inspection (as most people in CA are), but again I don't think a smog tech would really even know it was missing.

I'm curious myself. I've been wanting to put the O2's in the PAIR holes since mine get wet and throw a code. My worry is disguising the small vacuum line that goes to the two metal vac lines for the egr. A plug there would look super obvious.

I'm curious myself. I've been wanting to put the O2's in the PAIR holes since mine get wet and throw a code. My worry is disguising the small vacuum line that goes to the two metal vac lines for the egr. A plug there would look super obvious.
Unfortunately I just got smogged a couple months ago, so I've got 2 years until I can test it and find out.

Block off plates don’t look stock.
Why would you want to remove it?
Well if you use Toyota OEM block off plates, it definitely does look stock. There is already stuff all over our engine bays that is blocked off or not used, due to options or regional differences; I don't think it would look out of place at all.
For why, well first of all it gets a bunch of extra valves, vacuum hoses, and other parts (aka potential points of failure on a 28-year-old vehicle) off of your vehicle. Second of all it puts the O2 sensors in a much better place, where they will last longer and are easier to access when they need to be changed or inspected.

I think the real visual give away if you remove the complete PAIR system is the heater hose that runs along the passenger side of the valve cover. On a PAIR truck that hose has a big bend in it. You could just get the same hose from a later model truck that doesn't have the bend. Which is what I did.
In addition you could also get a burrito warmer from Frank @yodaTEQ Which effectively hides the view to the PAIR ports.
15868782855497607181322559136483.jpg

I think the real visual give away if you remove the complete PAIR system is the heater hose that runs along the passenger side of the valve cover. On a PAIR truck that hose has a big bend in it. You could just get the same hose from a later model truck that doesn't have the bend. Which is what I did.
In addition you could also get a burrito warmer from Frank @yodaTEQ Which effectively hides the view to the PAIR ports.View attachment 2272241
LOL, does that thing actually work? That's a new one, I like it.

I was actually thinking about modifying the coolant pipe anyway to put a coolant filter in.

LOL, does that thing actually work? That's a new one, I like it.
Quite possibly my favourite mod. Prepare a little food when you are finished breakfast and throw it in. Ready when you stop for lunch.
20180713_130433.jpg

20180713_130619.jpg

Man that's awesome. Might be my new favorite mod now too. It really gets hot enough to cook raw meat? How do you avoid overcooking?
Its a slow cook. I have done chicken and beef from raw and things like ribs and burgers from frozen. Only ever overcooked food once when I forgot about it. I think it was in there for about 8 hours and definitely not my finest culinary work..

Its a slow cook. I have done chicken and beef from raw and things like ribs and burgers from frozen. Only ever overcooked food once when I forgot about it. I think it was in there for about 8 hours and definitely not my finest culinary work..
So could I still move the O2 sensors into the PAIR ports with this? Or does it occupy the same space?

What is PAIR?
Not sure what it stands for, something like Pulsed Air Injection Rubbish but it effectively takes air from the air filter and sends it down the exhaust pipe under certain conditions. Basicly "reduces" pollution by dilution. Same amount of nasties still fall out of the exhaust.
It only made an appearance on '93 & '94 models.

Cool Thats what I figured. I took the air pump and tubes off my 91 a few weeks back and plugged the holes with a proper Toyota plug. No need to move the O2 sensors though. Would be better access for service and a big bother to move them. Sounds like a god job for my son in 30 years when he gets the 80

Cool Thats what I figured. I took the air pump and tubes off my 91 a few weeks back and plugged the holes with a proper Toyota plug. No need to move the O2 sensors though. Would be better access for service and a big bother to move them. Sounds like a god job for my son in 30 years when he gets the 80
The system on the 3FE is a bit different because it uses an actual pump to push the air, whereas the 1FZ just has a big reed valve and uses vacuum. But it’s the same idea.

Presumably a smog technician would look for the diagram under the hood and might notice the PAIR system is gone.

1586903517100.png

I wanted to see if anyone out there has experience with deleting the PAIR system and passing smog in CA. I was planning on removing the whole system (resonator, valve, tubes, etc) and using a block-off plate to make it look totally factory. I'm still not sure if I want to move the O2 sensors up to the empty PAIR ports on the manifold, or just leave the sensors and block off the PAIR ports. I understand that this would all still technically be illegal, but would a smog tech doing an inspection even know about the PAIR system being missing if I did it in this way? I mean, it's not like the system was really that common or widespread. Another thing that worries me is that I'm required to go to the STAR smog stations to get the more stringent inspection (as most people in CA are), but again I don't think a smog tech would really even know it was missing.

Yes you would fail and never technically be passing.

Why risk a person's livelihood by betting on human error.

Basicly "reduces" pollution by dilution. Same amount of nasties still fall out of the exhaust.

Not correct. The added oxygen combines with the residual fuel in the exhaust to further complete combustion. This reduces harmful emissions.

This seems stupid but what if the diagram isn't there? Can you fail smog for not having the vacuum diagram?

Shops have diagrams on hand. You would not fail for a missing vacuum diagram.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom