Painting Your Rims Step by Step - Pics (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
ok folks I have completed painting my rims on the 100 and thought i would post how i went about doing it.

1. either buy a second set of rims or remove your tires from current rims, i suggest buying a used set because in order to do it right it will take three days.
2. buy spray on stripper (the kind that works in 15 min). I bought mine at HD, you only need the small can. Spray every inch of the rim with the stripper and let it sit for 20 minutes and then respray again. Let sit for an hour
3. Take either a pressure washer or a hose with a sprayer on it and hose the hell out of the rims and this will take 99% of the clear coat off along with any other paint...plus it washes the stripper off. You want to do this in a safe place so you dont kill your grass....i suggest you hose them off in your neighbors yard.
4. after washing i set them out in the sun to dry.
5. buy 100 grit and 220 grit sanding blocks, they look like dish sponges, and sand the entire rim and any remaining paint off. It doesnt really take much work. It took me 15 minutes a rim.
6. buy a good grade automotive primer, rattle can, and also buy one of those trigger sprayer things that clip on the rattle can. I feel like i have more control using.
7. prime the rims and let dry and then reprime. I let them sit a full day and then sanded and reprimed them a third time. Let them sit another full day
8. This is where you may decide to go a different route. I bought black Epoxy paint, the kind you use on appliances. It goes on thick, dries hard and has a good gloss.... somewhat like powder coating.
9. spray in sweeping motions b/c it over spray wicked bad if you're not careful. I let them dry in the sun....
10. Mount them...!!!

Pics below.
1. Rim after it was stripped
2. Rim after 1st prime
3. Rim after 3rd prime
4. Epoxy i used
5. Painted rim
6. Painted rim side view.
rim2.jpg
rim1.jpg
rim3.jpg

Those look damn good.

Should hold up well in the mall parking lot. :flipoff2:

shopping carts are a bitch on rims....

Yep, especially those Wally World ones; they seem to be just the right height to ding up a nice rim...

On a more serious note - have you mounted the tires back up? How'd the finish stand up to the mounting? Pics?

Yep, especially those Wally World ones; they seem to be just the right height to ding up a nice rim...

On a more serious note - have you mounted the tires back up? How'd the finish stand up to the mounting? Pics?
havent mounted yet. I plan to mount on bigger tires!!! 305's :cool:

well, i just found out something new and i like it better. after leaving them in the sun for a couple of hours i went and put anther coat of Epoxy on them and they came out with a rougher finish, it's almost like they are a matte gloss.....i cant download the pic for some reason....

but i like the finish

Nice. I think Im going to use your method. It looks real good.

I have just tested my 16 inch rims and they fit on my 2006. Now Im going to spray em and then put some new tires on. Still trying to decide between 255/85 and 285/75.

so here is a picture of the rim that has the matte/gloss finish.

After further review i decided that i dont really like it so i will be starting the process over with the two rims that have this finish. I am guessing that putting a 2nd coat on while the rim was warm caused this rough finish. I have two rims that are smooth as my ass so i will wait until they dry completely and then stick them in the shade to cool off then spray a second coat on. The first coat is wicked thick so i might not even put a second coat on. If you do this make sure you hit all nooks and crannys on the first shot.
rim5.jpg

I knew if I waited long enough you would get it all done so when I come over we can just drink!

I'm trying to make my way back this week. I made it 100 miles before I stopped and said "not yet".

I must say they look very good already after stripping. Heck, I could strip and then clear coat and be happy. Do you have the brand of the stripper?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom