Painting wheels before new tires ok? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was thinking about painting my wheels this weekend, but am in the market for new tires fairly soon. If I paint then now, would the mounting process of new tires scratch up the fresh wheels to where I should just wait?
For info: I was going to strip the wheels and light sand, plus a primer, then a matte black spray paint, not powdercoating them at the moment.

It really depends on where you go. Some places will do a much better job at not banging up your wheels.

it is spray paint...........so if they scratch em, psssssssssssssssssst and their fixed.

the paint doesnt really stick to rubber or you can mask or do a soap schmear on the rubber if you want.

did it to mine before new tires,cant tell that the old man even touched em rattle can gloss black brake dust mattees em for me

You just need someone with a rim clamp versus a standard tire changer...the rim clamp really doesn't touch the lip of the wheel and create any damage. I agree with the above posts...if you rattle can them, you can EASILY touch them up...light sanding, re-spray and you're good to go.

Too bad you guys don't live in my area (Elkhart, Indiana) we have a local powdercoater that is extremely affordable...custom colors, no set up charge and aluminum wheels are $5-10 each.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom