painting trans, xfer case (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've just about got everything torn apart. Should the trans & xfer case, and bell housing too I guess, be painted?

You could if you want. I have used Eastwood Chassis Black for bellhousings, rear end housings, etc. Pretty durable, high solid content paint. Dries kinda glossy. You have to order it from Eastwood (auto resto parts supplier), but you may find something comparable at a local auto parts store.

Brian

I scrubbed all parts clean with kerosene and a wire brush. I painted the tranny, bellhousing, and parking brake while leaving the tcase with a fresh brushed finish.....

I used oil based rustoluem from wal mart. NOT SPRAY paint.
b4 tranny.jpg
after tcase.jpg

Last edited:
paint it up if you have it all out, tore down and cleaned up.

:beer:

What adapter is that between the 465 and tcase?

AA?

looks like the old AA 465 adapter with the shaft that fits over the tranny output shaft?

-Dustin

dustin said:
looks like the old AA 465 adapter with the shaft that fits over the tranny output shaft?

-Dustin

it's the AA one i didn't know it was old do they have a different one now? yes it uses a shaft that slips over the tranny out put shaft . . i bought this awhile ago before i new about the plate adapters , and ih8mud.com . also it is the 2wd version of the tranny . so i didn't have many options other than changing the mainshaft . ,the nice thing about this adapter .when removing t-case just have to unbolt it from the tranny and the t-case and adapter comes right off . nothing stuck together .

would have liked to use the plate adapter . for a longer rear shaft . but i have all the bugs worked out . no driveline issues . here

I didnt mean "old" like that. :) I just looked, and AA is still selling them. Just was thinking theres the thinner plate adapter now. I like that you can make a crossmember that fits under the AA one, instead of hanging off the back of the t-case.

cheers-
Dustin

dustin said:
I didnt mean "old" like that. :) I just looked, and AA is still selling them. Just was thinking theres the thinner plate adapter now. I like that you can make a crossmember that fits under the AA one, instead of hanging off the back of the t-case.

cheers-
Dustin

OH! cool! i thought there may have been something new and improved out there . i haven't been to AA's site in a long time

pulled my t-case and trans recently to rebuild them with a buddy and we cleaned it all up nice and clean and painted (black) the trans and left shiny and clean the t-case.

I try to stay away from black when painting the drivetrain, it makes the job that much more difficult to trace oil leaks if they pop up.

I am partial to "Cast Iron Gray", I think PlastiKote makes it. Then I go over it with clear engine enamel. Satin black for the Transmission.

Ed
orion 008.jpg

Hey....I've seen that before.... ;)

Naw! I have two. One to roll around the garage and the other to put in the truck.

Ed:D

pbgbottle, that looks nice. What kind of paint did you use on the drivetrain and also the frame?

it is just tremclad rust paint, most of it rattle can , some done with a brush ,the can said it was automotive grade rust paint ,whatever that means , tremclad is made by rustoleum . also wire wheeled the frame down to bare metal first and put on 3 coats of primer
Soul_Man said:
pbgbottle, that looks nice. What kind of paint did you use on the drivetrain and also the frame?
tremclad.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom