Painting the word "Toyota" on the tailgate? (1 Viewer)

Did the FJ55 come with the word "Toyota" on the tailgate painted the body color?

• Yes, "Toyota" on the tailgate was painted with the body color.

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • No they didn't paint the tailgate letters.

Votes: 9 69.2%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cruiser_guy

Out of Africa / North Africa
Threads
Website
join-hands-for-hope-helping-people-help-themselves.mailchimpsites.com
Based on Sethro's new Piggy with allegedly original paint, did the '55's have the word "Toyota" on the tailgate painted with the body color or was it left white? I was always under the impression that it was painted.
I have a sign painter that owes me some time and I was going to have him paint the "Toyota" on the tailgate and grille. The tailgate will be body color, in my case green, and the grille will have the background matt black.
This is the area I'm talking about.
DSC_1798_edited.JPG

Last edited:
I could be mistaken but I recall mine being painted the body color. Even if it wasnt originally thats a change I'd vote for it just looks better painted.

i agree...i think it looks cool painted

Factory I beleive it was painted white.

It looks way cooler painted and gives stupid people one less question to ask me.

I almost want to paint beneath it "It's a Land Cruiser, you pinhead. Get back in yer Hummer and leave me alone"

What ever I do the Pig is not getting a snorkel. That thing is just a moron magnet on the 80.

Painted

Wagonner5 has the art work for the 45 tailgate the font is the same just a different size. It would be a cheap way to put some color on those letters. Sign companys can produce computer cut letters , peel and stick! The only issue would be the color would not match but it may be cool to have red letters on the white.

Lou

I bet if you did a black letter with a pewter outer edge it would match the color of the side vents and front lettering on the grill. Black and pewter seems to be a thing on 55's.

I am not certain... here is a pic with the pig pretty much stripped down to bare in that location...IIRC there is some blue back there amidst a couple layers of white. Also... a pick of mine now...I definitely like it painted in.
pigbuttsm.JPG
pigbuttsm2.JPG

The tailgate of my '76 is origional paint, and Toyota is left white with the midsection. I will definately paint mine in when the whole truck gets paint. It just looks sooo goood!

I think that I will call my buddy and my favor and get it painted. It just looks "right" on "Toddslater"'s rig.

Yep, I got mine done now. Here's a picture taken while I was getting the new cargo window gaskets installed. I'm waiting on the clips for the lower tailgate weatherstrip to make it a more leak proof piggy!
fj55.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom