Painting the Side Molding - Color? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.stokesignals.agency
The center sticker is in good shape - not torn or peeling - but it's really faded. I think I'm going to paint it as opposed to going with the 3M silver sticker option. The plan is to go darker than the O.E. silver. Couple questions...
- Anyone painted just the center strip - not the whole side moulding?
- If "yes" to the above, what color did you use and how'd it turn out?

No helpful comments here. Just wanna say the photo of your truck at ACC around 2012 inspired me to get a black garnet pearl 06/07. And I love you for it. Thanks

No helpful comments here. Just wanna say the photo of your truck at ACC around 2012 inspired me to get a black garnet pearl 06/07. And I love you for it. Thanks
Literally LOL'ed. (wait... shouldn't that be "L'ed OL"?)

I was planning on just painting the center strip but tested the touchup color the Toyota dealership gave me and it turned out to be too different (darker shade and glossier) likely from the moulding on my rig being 13 yrs old (a lot of which was spent sitting in a barn). Instead I just wetsanded the center strip until the paint underneath came through. I then hit it with some polishing compound and sealant. Looks a million times better imho. What have you done to your 100 Series this week?

Vinyl wrap the entire piece of trim-

I was planning on just painting the center strip but tested the touchup color the Toyota dealership gave me and it turned out to be too different (darker shade and glossier) likely from the moulding on my rig being 13 yrs old (a lot of which was spent sitting in a barn). Instead I just wetsanded the center strip until the paint underneath came through. I then hit it with some polishing compound and sealant. Looks a million times better imho. What have you done to your 100 Series this week?

@TxAggieLC would you mind providing product details of exactly what you used? I really like the end result you were able to achieve, and I have the exact same 'before' picture staring me in the face every day...

i agree with plastidip and glossifier, because it can easily be removed and applied so if you don't like it can try a different combo. Benefit is lots of colors to choode frok in local auto stores.

@TxAggieLC would you mind providing product details of exactly what you used? I really like the end result you were able to achieve, and I have the exact same 'before' picture staring me in the face every day...

There really wasn't much to it, to be honest. I took some 1000 and 2000 grit sandpaper, soaked it in some water for a couple minutes, sprayed the strip with some water and did some very light wetsanding. You'll notice immediately that the light silver paint/film will comes right off. Very little pressure is the best but takes a bit longer to do than heavier pressure or lower grit sandpaper. This is where you want to take your time because too much wetsanding can go through the base layer under the strip.

Once you've got through the paint on the strip, hit it with some polishing compound like Chemical Guys V36 or V38 or even do some scratch remover like meguiars scratch 2.0 (I tried both and didn't notice an appreciable difference). After a couple layers of the polishing compound, finish with a wax or sealant. I used Chemical Guys M Seal (can you tell I like Chemical Guys???) but any wax or sealant should work.

Finished product looks amazing, IMHO. Wrap or spray paint would be great if you want to keep the strip a separate color or redo the entire molding but I just wanted to get rid of the tired/worn out strip.

IMG_0028.jpeg

Anyone have an idea of what color 3M vinyl wrap would work for the middle silver portion? I want it to look like new pictures below:

IMG_0027.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom