Painting sunroof garnish trim with SEM 17293 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The interior sunroof “garnish“ trim in my 80 was really brittle, cracked in a few places, and made a lot of noise creaking, squeaking, and banging on the sunroof shade. I know some just remove it and it really doesn’t look too bad that way, but I wanted to replace mine. Of course these, along with what seem like ALL oak interior bits, are NLA. However, the grey still is. Part numbers are:
  • 6321960010B6
  • 6363560010B6
  • 6321760010B6
  • 6321860010B6
The next step was to try to paint match them to my broken ones. After reading a lot to find the best match, I bought a can of SEM Classic Coat Ivory 17293 paint, which I believe was made to match this specific Toyota interior color. I prepped the pieces by washing them with Dawn using the scouring side of a sponge, drying, then wiping with iso alcohol.

I used almost the entire can on these parts. It sprays really well and is so much different than “paint”. It’s more of a tint, at least in my experience. It goes on very light, is very forgiving to work with, and quickly dries to the touch. I waited around 5-10 minutes in between coats.

Here are some side by side shots of the old vs new painted parts. It doesn’t exactly match, but it’s really close and who knows how much age and oxidation have changed the original part‘s color. I can’t wait to install and see what it looks like. I’ll post follow-up pics once I do. The painted part is in front. Oh FYI, all in, this was about a $200 venture.

9355F120-60A0-4A8F-B8FD-33A32CCF9A58.jpeg

B5E07F44-35E1-4547-98AF-E55B19522C58.jpeg

4C0CD3FB-DE7F-4223-803E-2B25A19D4B24.jpeg

BB2B23E2-A9F9-4217-8002-D9BCB98012B8.jpeg

Last edited:
Great work! My trim started cracking and falling on me, so I started removing it and it came out in 100 pieces. When you removed yours for this project, did you also remove the old clips and install new ones? I’ve already got some of the SEM paint for this job.

Do you have the part numbers for the clips?

Great work! My trim started cracking and falling on me, so I started removing it and it came out in 100 pieces. When you removed yours for this project, did you also remove the old clips and install new ones? I’ve already got some of the SEM paint for this job.

Do you have the part numbers for the clips?
Thanks! Every single one of those clips broke off in the cruiser. I did this last night and haven’t taken them out yet because I honestly wasn’t expecting them to be so hard to get out by hand, but they are really clipped in there. It’s on today‘s to-do list.

The good news is that the new trim pieces come with the clips installed, so no need to buy them separately. However, if you do, the part number is 9046805017 and you’ll need a total of 12 of them for all 4 pieces of trim.

Last edited:
Following up now that I have it all installed. The clips are really in there - my advice would be to avoid pliers and just use a pick tool to pull them out. It takes quite a bit of force. Also, the SEM Ivory paint matches beautifully. When I looked at my broken pieces in the sunlight, I could see lighter areas of the old trim that hadn’t been exposed to UV and they were much more of a match to the painted trim. I’m really happy with the outcome.

Installation tips:
  • Open the sunroof slightly to access the front piece when you install it, then close it to install the rear piece.
  • I also didn’t want to mar the side pieces because you would have to kind of “hook them in” if you install while the sunroof is closed and that could potentially scratch against the front/rear pieces. So, what I did was lined them up like they would be once installed, and set the rear of them in place (but not pushing the rear clips all the way in) while leaving the front dangling below the headliner. I then opened the sunroof just enough to be able to clip in the front of the sides. Then, once done, I closed the sunroof to clip in the rears. It may sound confusing but hopefully makes sense once you’re doing it.
Again, I couldn’t be happier with the outcome.

9D230F33-5F34-4E28-B33C-8E21144CB2C9.jpeg

C24FDFDC-2916-46F4-A3FA-E2E58FE98913.jpeg

5356CFE5-065A-4F56-BCEA-181BBD483AB8.jpeg

0A926D8C-4558-483D-B1D5-D81A6ADCD24C.jpeg

8BFB42FF-1188-41E4-BDBC-6B64AC0BDD75.jpeg

Following up now that I have it all installed. The clips are really in there - my advice would be to avoid pliers and just use a pick tool to pull them out. It takes quite a bit of force. Also, the SEM Ivory paint matches beautifully. When I looked at my broken pieces in the sunlight, I could see lighter areas of the old trim that hadn’t been exposed to UV and they were much more of a match to the painted trim. I’m really happy with the outcome.

Installation tips:
  • Open the sunroof slightly to access the front piece when you install it, then close it to install the rear piece.
  • I also didn’t want to mar the side pieces because you would have to kind of “hook them in” if you install while the sunroof is closed and that could potentially scratch against the front/rear pieces. So, what I did was lined them up like they would be once installed, and set the rear of them in place (but not pushing the rear clips all the way in) while leaving the front dangling below the headliner. I then opened the sunroof just enough to be able to clip in the front of the sides. Then, once done, I closed the sunroof to clip in the rears. It may sound confusing but hopefully makes sense once you’re doing it.
Again, I couldn’t be happier with the outcome.

View attachment 3024970

View attachment 3024971

View attachment 3024972

View attachment 3024973

View attachment 3024974
That looks great!! I have to do this soon.

Nice to know about the SEM trim paint - BUT the brittleness is your sign - that plastic is at the end of it's useful life - will continue to crumble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom