Painting running board scratch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My wife hit a car and it made a long scratch into one of our running boards (which looked like new). Some of the plastic from the other car I can remove, but any advice on the best way to paint the long, now black scratch in the running board? And removing the running board altogether is not an option - I have little kids.

Pics help.

Pics help.
PXL_20230416_150438514.jpg
PXL_20230416_150448264.jpg

I would hit that with some sandpaper, mask off the area, and cover it with some color matched paint from automotive touchup. But I'm no expert.
We have to hit our deductible anyway to pay for the other car she hit - a BMW bumper - make any sense to just replace it?

We have to hit our deductible anyway to pay for the other car she hit - a BMW bumper - make any sense to just replace it?
The running board? Why? It's just an itty bitty scratch. I mean, it MIGHT be less work to replace it than to paint it. And then you can sell the old one to someone who did a delete and now regrets it because they've gone lifted and have to pole vault into their driver's seat.

Short version, you asked if it made any sense. It doesnt to me, but it might to you.

The running board? Why? It's just an itty bitty scratch. I mean, it MIGHT be less work to replace it than to paint it. And then you can sell the old one to someone who did a delete and now regrets it because they've gone lifted and have to pole vault into their driver's seat.

Short version, you asked if it made any sense. It doesnt to me, but it might to you.
I agree - seems easy enough to fix. I was not aware of automotive touchup - seems simple. Thanks for the input,

Yeah, all the brown stuff will buff/sand out. You'll have to put a few layers of touch up on (thin layers, let dry between) until it's thick enough that the black doesn't show through. You'll notice it for a week and then forget about it. Touch up paint color code will be on a sticker inside your driver's door. I'm guessing it's Sand Dollar Pearl (4R2).

If you're not comfortable doing it, ask your local dealership's used car manager what day the touch up guy shows up on and how much it is to slide yours into the queue.

If this is the pearl white LX, it’s a 3 stage that will be difficult to touch up correctly. If insurance will cover it, just bring it to a good painter to respray it. I’d take it off though, just to avoid making things worse with overspray.

To do it right, you’d have to touch up the area with white, then pearl, blending into the surrounding area, then clear the whole thing. It is just a running board, so if all your after is something better than a big scratch, you should give it a go.

If this is the pearl white LX, it’s a 3 stage that will be difficult to touch up correctly. If insurance will cover it, just bring it to a good painter to respray it. I’d take it off though, just to avoid making things worse with overspray.

To do it right, you’d have to touch up the area with white, then pearl, blending into the surrounding area, then clear the whole thing. It is just a running board, so if all your after is something better than a big scratch, you should give it a go.
It is Sand Dollar Pearl.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom