Painting Plastic (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was wanting to paint my heater blower box and some of the heater ducts as they are a little scatched up. Can you paint plastic would good results? I am concerned it will just flake off and look bad.

Dietoy said:
I was wanting to paint my heater blower box and some of the heater ducts as they are a little scatched up. Can you paint plastic would good results? I am concerned it will just flake off and look bad.

I think it is PlastiCote that makes some paint(s) that are specifically made for painting plastic. There may be other manufacturers. Anyway, they are out there. Ordinary paint may/may not work.

GL

Ed

You need to use a plastic adhesion promoter... I always use PPG's version, and I think they also sell it in an aerosol can... Spray the adhesion promoter, wait 30 mins, top coat with whatever paint you want, and it will stick and not peel. If its a plastic part that will flex a fair bit (like soft plastic bumper covers, etc.) you need to add a flex additive to your paint but for heater/blower housings, console, etc. you don't need it.

Krylon has paint that's made for plastic. I saw some at the Lowes the other day, so it should be fairly easy to come by. Haven't tried any yet, so I can't comment as to how well it works. Krylon Fusion

Fusion worked well on my PVC potato gun.

Rustolem has one on the market now as well.

Fusion worked for me on a locking tailgate cover on one of my trucks but there aren't very many colors and I don't remember seeing one like the heater pieces in a cruiser.

I found that Rustolem (sp?) Plastic and used the Rustolem Primer first. On the blower motor casing it worked great on the heating duct it dimpled up a little bit but still looks good. Thank you for the help

Dietoy said:
I found that Rustolem (sp?) Plastic and used the Rustolem Primer first. On the blower motor casing it worked great on the heating duct it dimpled up a little bit but still looks good. Thank you for the help
Did you wipe the duct with isopropyl alcohol before you painted?

I wiped it with Paint thinner before I painted

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom