1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Painting Diamond Plate?

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by freightdog, Jul 28, 2005.

1. freightdog

freightdog

I have an old diamond plate truck box - ugly!

Has anyone ever painted diamond plate? Will it last or just flake off?

I was gonna paint it flat black...

2. trainrech

trainrech

If it is Al, you'll need to etch it with (I believe) phosphoric acid which you can get in any autoparts store. Etch, rinse, dry, then prime. Same process as an aluminum tub.

3. 72FJ40LandCruiser

72FJ40LandCruiser

If you need to buy some phosphoric acid, check out a local Home Depot. I went to the one in Amarillo a while back and they had changed brands of it and the old stuff was marked $1.00 a bottle, for both the gallons and quarts. I grabbed a couple gallons of it and went to check out. It rang up $.01! I went back and got all the quart bottles and I had already gotten the last of the gallons. I ended up getting 2 gallon jugs and 8 quart bottles for less than $.15. I don't know what I'm going to do with all this phosphoric acid, but you can't beat that deal with a stick! I had gotten around $50 worth of it when I did the math with the original price.

4. Cobra Jet

Cobra Jet

what I would do is find a shop near you that has powder coating abilities. Powder coating will last MUCH longer than any applied paint. Plus, many shops that do offer powder coating have a multitude of colors & textures now.

5. stinkyfj60

stinkyfj60

Go to a local parts store and get self etching primer... I dont see why that wouldnt work...

6. John E Davies

John E Davies

The prep is everything with aluminum - if it isn't blasted or etched to bright metal, the coating will come off.

I have an aluminum trailer with cosmetic damage from the crappy deicer fluid the city sprays on the streets in winter. I am debating having silver bed-liner material sprayed on it. Can anyone comment on how well that holds up on properly prepped aluminum?

John

7. 72FJ40LandCruiser

72FJ40LandCruiser

You still need to acid etch it. And even then with the self-etching primer you need to get a good two part primer. That stuff in the aerosol can doesn't do a whole lot of good. I figured out while I was in auto body school that a good rule of thumb is that if you don't mix a catalyst with it, don't use it. Like that Bondo brand glazing putty that parts stores sell and everybody uses that just comes in a tube and you don't mix a hardener? Junk... I know some people will disagree with me, but oh well.

8. elum

elum

Powder Coat!!!

9. PUPTLAM

PUPTLAM

Media:
    Albums:
    Aluminum is just another metal. Steel doesn't "absorb" primer and paint more than aluminum. Just make sure its clean, prime and paint. I have painted aluminum parts and patches that I have made on aircraft for 20 years, Its nothing special.

10. TJDIV

TJDIV Back in The U.P.

Media:
    Albums:
    I just painted the s***. It's lasted fine. Who cares if it flakes every six months in "here and there" places. buy two cans of paint. keep one for touch up.

11. John E Davies

John E Davies

Sorry - if you are painteing aircraft that way you just aren't doing it right.

I was an A&P mechanic in general aviation for 16 years and I saw many such paint jobs come off in a heavy rain storm.

Aluminum requires special prep to do a "good" paint job - ie: one that will stay on when you hit it with a pressure washer. Acid washes and epoxy primers are best. Zinc chromate or zinc oxide primers are ok for patches.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cspages/zinc.php

John

12. freightdog

freightdog