Painting Black - seeking ideas (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i have a original black stock 97 cruiser in near perfect shape except the paint is starting to show its age. The interior was replaced and the body is in super shape. It has been a florida truck its entire life and has zero rust. It has stock wheels and is not lifted.

I was planning on plasti dipping it but i found a $650 house of color jet black bc/cc kit for $100 on CL. So i have decided to paint it MYSELF. However i am considering doing something to make it unique. I don't want to do a color change because i would rather not bother with all of the door jams etc. I am painting it myself. I might even paint it and then plastic dip it later something more extreme and to protect the paint.

Anyhow what can i do that is different?

I WANT IDEAS PLEASE

1) remove flares and roof rack?

2) paint roof a different color? But what color?

3) I saw a thread with the dune colored truck with the vintage graphics and thought that was very cool

4) Should i paint trim gloss black ?

thx for your ideas in advance!

Last edited:
I think he is saying salvage your single stage paint before you spray a new anything on it.

it is not possible - the hood is weathered , the flares are weathered and scratched and there are scratches here and there - don't get me wrong it looks very good at 20 ft! but up close you can se the flaws

In that case, take everything apart and do all the prep work and then take it to the paint shop you trust the most. You really need a booth, whether you build one or rent one. People report good results with outdoor paint jobs, but there is no way dust and debris isn't getting into the paint layers unless you are working in a real paint booth.

By the time you set everything up and then somehow teach yourself decades worth of experience in a couple of fenders, you'll be in way further than if you would have just learned how to do the prep work and you can learn what your "standard" will be. For me, it has to be rust free bare metal before I will paint it now that I know a bit about the dark art of painting.

There is no way you'll be happy with a full respray unless you put the time into the prep work and then have it sprayed in a shop you trust.

In that case, take everything apart and do all the prep work and then take it to the paint shop you trust the most. You really need a booth, whether you build one or rent one. People report good results with outdoor paint jobs, but there is no way dust and debris isn't getting into the paint layers unless you are working in a real paint booth.

By the time you set everything up and then somehow teach yourself decades worth of experience in a couple of fenders, you'll be in way further than if you would have just learned how to do the prep work and you can learn what your "standard" will be. For me, it has to be rust free bare metal before I will paint it now that I know a bit about the dark art of painting.

There is no way you'll be happy with a full respray unless you put the time into the prep work and then have it sprayed in a shop you trust.

i am able to paint it myself - using a booth so that is not an issue.

You could paint it black gold pearl like the ram trucks. Changes to a gold like color in certain light.
Pretty cool.
79201569.jpg

black does not have a clear coat, so just buff it out and see what it looks like?

Hey @inkpot - My '97 is peeling like crazy on one side of the truck. It's black as well. If they weren't cleared, does this mean my truck was repainted??

Hey @inkpot - My '97 is peeling like crazy on one side of the truck. It's black as well. If they weren't cleared, does this mean my truck was repainted??

Good chance it is. I have heard of folks opting for an aftermarket clear coat over original single stage as a protectant.

An entire 80 covered in Blitz Black would be awesome.

The best finish for ANY 80 is Puckerbrush Pinstripe! It's all Natural, and hands down the easiest and most entertaining to apply. No masking or color matching required. Everyone that counts will notice and admire THAT finish. These rigs are getting pretty old: past their prime, so they should be turned out to pasture, desert, forest, wherever. I would much rather exercise my arms twisting a steering wheel than rubbing a buffer on my paint.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom