Painting an 85 Copper 60 (with headliner install video) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Have put in a couple hours over the last week detailing the grill and headlight doors. Mounted the grill this evening and hope to get the doors on manana. This cleaner someone recommended a while back is some good stuff. Took a while as this truck is worthy of a new grill badge. Ordered a few from overseas so it took a while to get here. The one upclose pic shows the dirty vs cleaned area.

View attachment 3460460

View attachment 3460461

View attachment 3460462
That stuff is like smelling salts… amazing polish, but don’t stick your nose near that open jar! Good God Almighty!

Put the front back together. Have confirmed with Nate the great @mattressking that he will be spending the weekend of the 10th here at my place. Stoked as the smog/intake system expert is going to help me get this motor sorted.

IMG_2689.jpeg

IMG_2691.jpeg

I have to come clean...Those rims and tires are actually the property of @BigHighBlue

He's trialing a set of 31's that go with this copper truck. I will say if I was to keep this truck, I'd already have a set of those rims on order along with the 33 skinnies. it's a really good look IMO.

Had some great help this last weekend from Nate @mattressking to dial in this motor. He swapped to another intake/exhaust manifold, went through the carb and then double checked it a few times. I learned a ton about the stock intake and smog system. What we found in the end is the motor runs well with the EGR blocked off. We are working on next steps. In the meantime I’m parking it as I have three other cruisers I need to get work done for other owners. Here’s a video of where things are at with it as well as Nate putting in the work. Big thank you ma man.

IMG_2815.jpeg

IMG_2816.jpeg

Nice.
What was wrong with the manifold? Vacuum leak?

When you blocked off the EGR did you cap the ports or do it some other way?

Ian

Nice.
What was wrong with the manifold? Vacuum leak?

When you blocked off the EGR did you cap the ports or do it some other way?

Ian
Hey Ian, so neither manifold set up leaked. We tore the first one off so we could start from the head and work our way out. Used a block off plate for the EGR port on the manifold. Will keep that on there until I come up with a solution. Working through two manifold setups we tested everything as we worked our way from the head out to a completely functioning smogged setup. Once all vac sources were 100% in place the truck would fall on its face. Then in each scenario we only blocked off the EGR and it purrs.

Hey Ian, so neither manifold set up leaked. We tore the first one off so we could start from the head and work our way out. Used a block off plate for the EGR port on the manifold. Will keep that on there until I come up with a solution. Working through two manifold setups we tested everything as we worked our way from the head out to a completely functioning smogged setup. Once all vac sources were 100% in place the truck would fall on its face. Then in each scenario we only blocked off the EGR and it purrs.
I need to explore a partial desmog at a minimum. As I chase vacuum leaks my issues are getting better but still present. The AFM on the 62 is suspect and I'm not convinced the EGR is perfect either.

Also, my illusion that Nate @matressking was actually Jeff Bridges in disguise is totally shattered.

Ian

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom