painting aluminum (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
from what i have read and heard, i have to use an etching primer on aluminum to get good adhesion. any recommendations? do you know of any that are in a spray ccan. i understand that i need the phosphoric variety of ethcing primer. anything would be a huge help. OR...should i just get them sprayed with an epoxy primer.

Go to eastwood.com They have a sprsy can etching primer and all sorts of stuff you can have sent to the house. At a minimum you can get an idea of what is available

nocents

yeah, i get their catalog. i don't know why i didn't think of that. i guess i am an idiot.

etching aluminum can be done with Muratic acid get it and any place that has swimming pool stuff its cheep as can be BUT it is VERY VERY hard on the lungs so do it in a well ventalted area and stay up wind or you will be coughint and gaging. I did this to some aluminum diamond plate I used as flooring on an ocean fishing boat then painted with no slip paint after 3 years it had never bubbled or flaked. Boat was sold after that soooo I cant update past that.

Make sure you wash off the aluminum after 20-30 minutes. If its real thin then you might not want to wait that long :).

good luck and as with anything it worked for me :) and double what you paid for this info back if it does not work and don't let the EPA know who told ya hehehe.

Paint coatings are designed as a system. Your top coat will recommend a compatible primer (for the best chemical adhesion). The primer list compatible top coats. You'll have to consult the data sheets.

If you want the good stuff, you won't find it in a spray can. It depends on what you want the coating to do. If you have everything torn apart and don't want to have to paint it again, use an epoxy primer under a urethane. They are not cheap, but many will agree worth the expense.

If you are putting together a trail rig and will be beating on it (and don't need a high gloss, weatherable finish), you have a lot of choices. It is true true that you get what you pay for, as long as the prep is done right.

Contact PPG, Sherwin Williams, Sikkens, DuPont "automotive refinish" stores for an appropriate coating on aluminum.

Good luck...

I used a standard metal etching primer on my rear aluminum quarter panels.. I picked it up in a rattle can from fisher auto parts for about $4.00 a can.. It worked fine for me. Fisher also sells the same metal etching primer in quart cans if you have access to a spray unit/compressor.

Mike

Here is the process as told to me by a body man and PPG service man. 1) De oxidize the aluminum by scuffing. 2) Clean AL with Acetone. 3) Wash off with distilled water. 4) Dry. 5) Apply a metal etching epoxy primer (I will be using dppl-90. A derivative of the dp-90 of late). 6) Top coat

Folks who do airplane painting recommend the anodization process which comes after cleaning and before the primer. Adds another corrosion protective layer.

i belive the the aircraft product you are refering to is Alodine... i'll check at work tommow and see if i can get a part # or supplier

dan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom