Painter in Central Ohio (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

N919HJ

SILVER Star
Threads
I recently bought a tailgate from Real Steel and now it needs painted. I'm waffling between painting it myself or paying a pro. It's a very small job obviously. Anybody know a guy or have the skills themselves? I still need to go a paint supply shop to see how much the materials cost. I'm just trying not to spend a fortune getting this done. The truck will eventually be painted, just not anytime soon.

Thanks

Depending on how old your paint is you can take it to Napa and have them shoot the color and mix it for you to match closely. They can also put it into rattle cans for a pretty good result. Can rattle can clear on top of needed. This is the easiest solution and think the Delaware store is the only one that can put them in cans but many can mix it. If you aren’t close to Delaware have your store mix it and send it to Delaware and send back for you- they will do this.

Could always get a harbor freight gun as well to try your self. This may be a cheaper option than several rattle cans as I am assuming you will epoxy primer first and those cans get expensive.

All In What you are looking for. Hope this helps.

Thanks for your input. I think I’m going to shoot it myself even though reading the threads in the paint and body section kind of scare me. I’ll let you know how it turns out. Cheers!

854EB5DC-F5A2-478E-AABC-CE20F6137031.jpeg
88B0BD23-DA76-4CEB-95D2-696463D12A91.jpeg
BCB0EA20-6A28-4718-A131-22B784A5854E.jpeg
Boom! I forgot to show it off.

@N919HJ, I have a Real Steel tailgate sitting at the house waiting for paint. Did you end up using rattle cans or did you buy a gun to shoot it? Assume you went with an epoxy primer, anything else prep wise that you found helpful?

I ended up doing it myself. You’re more than welcome to come check it out. I used these Preval jars. Amazon product ASIN B00CW809ZO I think it turned out pretty good. I had Ohio Auto Kolor match one of my doors and bought all the stuff from them. They were really helpful and gave me directions to follow, along with the pre cleaner and all the measuring cups. Wear gloves so you don’t get the oil from your skin on the metal right before you paint. I’m going to paint some door hinges and maybe a spare tire carrier this summer the same way.

I ended up doing it myself....

Thanks for the tip on the Preval jars and Ohio Auto Kolor. I have a rattle can of Cruiser Corps mustard that I'm going to use to touch up the areas around my old tire carrier, but I'd prefer to have something mixed for the tailgate. Hoping to get the spots on the quarter sprayed, the 4Plus tire carrier installed, and start test fitting the tailgate this weekend. Definitely want to take advantage of those 70 degree temps.

I’ve been going back and forth on the 4Plus tire carrier. My tire carrier is bent and probably a little wimpy for the tire it is carrying. I just don’t know if I can stand having little gray squares on the body where the OEM carrier attached. Plus, I really like my super nice OEM bumperettes.

I’ve been going back and forth on the 4Plus tire carrier. My tire carrier is bent and probably a little wimpy for the tire it is carrying. I just don’t know if I can stand having little gray squares on the body where the OEM carrier attached. Plus, I really like my super nice OEM bumperettes.

You're more than welcome to check mine out in person, I got the spots on the quarter painted and the carrier installed today. Also, if your original carrier is bent, my old one is listed in the classifieds, I think it's even the right color, but may be rougher than you'd be after. For Sale - Columbus OH - FJ40 tube style tire carrier - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/columbus-oh-fj40-tube-style-tire-carrier.1277501/

Your 40 is so original, I'm not sure I'd be willing to drill holes in the crossmember to install the 4Plus. Mine had a later tube style carrier installed and it wasn't the right color so the decision was a bit easier for me (previous owner backed into something and damaged the original plate style carrier). I actually bought new OEM bumperettes a few months ago so now I'll have the drivers side as a spare.

That‘s kinda my feeling. I have a replacement carrier sitting in the garage. I just have to paint it. Once we get back in our house I think I’ll be a little more motivated

Last edited:
I just spotted this thread, just so happens that I want to clean up a few small rust spots on the exterior of my new to me HDJ81. I plan on doing it myself as spring temperatures arrive. Great info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom