Paint??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have been in the process of rebuilding my '75 FJ40, I scuffed all the old paint, welded in some new quarters and rockers, and primed and painted it. I went with a single stage urethane rather than acrylic based on the paint shop's recommendation that the urethane is newer technology and better than the acrylic. I followed the instructions for the coating, but have noticed that it is rather soft and scratches pretty easy just from putting the top on for fitment and removing it. Just wondering if this is common with the SS paints, it seemed pretty tough when I got it, and it still had the original SS acrylic stuff... Just seeing what opinions are out there

I have been in the process of rebuilding my '75 FJ40, I scuffed all the old paint, welded in some new quarters and rockers, and primed and painted it. I went with a single stage urethane rather than acrylic based on the paint shop's recommendation that the urethane is newer technology and better than the acrylic. I followed the instructions for the coating, but have noticed that it is rather soft and scratches pretty easy just from putting the top on for fitment and removing it. Just wondering if this is common with the SS paints, it seemed pretty tough when I got it, and it still had the original SS acrylic stuff... Just seeing what opinions are out there

Sounds like possibly not enough hardner used during spraying. I just used Nason Full-Thane Urethane to spray my son's FJ40 and without hardener the paint never reaches any hardness and stays tacky. We found that doing small touch ups.......added hardener after that.

I used the same paint with their medium hardener, but it still seems pretty soft to me. I went exactly by the directions on nason's sheet, which is odd. Now that being said I didn't do more than the 2 coats that was specified by nason, but I know alot of folks wet sand that and do multiple coats, but I figured the mfr. would probably know pretty good, so I didn't do it..

Maybe this paint color looks interesting for you.

Thank you.
29052010 003.jpg

Oh, it's been more than a month since I painted it, it just seems a bit soft I guess since this is the first time dealing with these coatings (always been involved with 2 stage stuff) so maybe my expectations were off base... Just seemed like most folks were saying for a trail truck this was what to use as it was easy to touch up and retained that "factory" look so that is why I went with it, perhaps I should have done the Base Clearcoat oh well, live and learn right..

Thank you.

Dude, I love the color, the turn signals are awesome too, can you get me a pair and send 'em to the US? Great work on the resto of that truck, I have peeked in at your thread a couple of times... I do like my color a little better though, just cause i'm biased I guess
DSC_0985.jpg

Last edited:
Oh, it's been more than a month since I painted it, it just seems a bit soft I guess since this is the first time dealing with these coatings (always been involved with 2 stage stuff) so maybe my expectations were off base... Just seemed like most folks were saying for a trail truck this was what to use as it was easy to touch up and retained that "factory" look so that is why I went with it, perhaps I should have done the Base Clearcoat oh well, live and learn right..

That's odd.....I used the medium hardener too and ours is really hard two weeks out. It was actually hard over night.

The paint is Nason Ful-Thane Low VOC Urethane and we did use the Nason Medium Ful-Base Thinner 441-21. It mixed in a 6-1-1 ratio.

I did think it was odd that the paint shop supplied us with another brand of hardener....not Dupont.....the label just has "Wet Look Acrylic Enamel Hardener" on it.

What primer sealer did you use? We used Nason 422-23 Acrylic Sealer (gray). This stuff is awesome.....really coated and sealed well and was ready to paint over in 10 minutes.

I used same brand in Cygnus white for bezel too.

I used the Nason 2 stage primer, in tan but I did have the Nason Ful-thane medium catalyst, and it took 24 hrs to full dry per their paperwork. It has a good shine, but when I tried to fit the doors, it took some off of the hinges and in the door frame. I have mixed up some touch up and used a foam brush to apply. Just seems pretty soft I guess...

Would wet sanding and putting more coats on it have made it better?

Something wrong with the hardener or the mix ratio most SS I have used are 4-1-1 ratio using a medium hardener... hardeners are determined by ambiant temps ie;cool warm or hot outside temps which effects the evaporartion of the solvents in the paint.
Last time I painted I did 3 coats 15 minutes apart flash time and the paint surface was hard to the touch in less than 12 hours at 65 degree average temp I waited a week before wet sanding and buffing but it still take weeks after that for a hard shell finish unless you have a heated room with heat lamps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom