Paint your own rims? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, could you paint your own rims and expect it to work?

Coulld you do both aluminum and steel?

I was thinking of changing a pair of chrome wheels to black rather than buying $500 in rims.

What would be the best protocol to do so seeing as aluminum rims have a special clear coat to stop oxidization? Is there a special paint and or primer that would be best.

74fj40 said:
i got black rims at discount tires for 38 bucks a peice. not a bad deal if you ask me. they were unique series

Max
Did you get them online?

I was thinking the same I have a set of 16x8 and a set of 15x8 and I would think powder coating white spokers black would cost more than $38 a peice.

Kevin

Wantatic,

I thought that painting my wheels would be a pretty easy task, but it really didn't turn out as expected. I roughed them up and cleaned them with acetone, then spayed them with rattle can primer and paint, but the paint never really dried as hard as I would have liked. Putting the tires on and bolting the wheels together (2 piece beadlock) really left some nasty marks.

Ryan.

well, we looked at them online then went to the store and purchased them there. we already had the tires so they mounted those as well. they look good too, i post up a picture in a minute or two

Toyo FJ40 said:
Max
Did you get them online?

I was thinking the same I have a set of 16x8 and a set of 15x8 and I would think powder coating white spokers black would cost more than $38 a peice.

Kevin

heres the wheels, theyre stil 38 bucks a peice. youll have to find the right back spaceing though. i didnt so i had to buy some spacers

I am painting a set now. Had them blasted and using a rattle can self -etching primer which seems to have worked well - though the humidity here is like 99% for the past 9 days so haven't been able to get another coat on them. Painting them with similar rattle can enamel - machine grey - looks just like stock.

I am not sure I would paint rims if I didn't have them blasted first. I just can't see how you could get all the grease/rust/old paint/grime off a rim well enough to make any paint stick.

AndrewT

We just painted a set of steelies with POR 15 and it went on pretty well, looks the same as on the sheet metal (i.e. not silky smooth... but well covered). The rig doesn't run yet so I can't comment on the duribility.

Chris

did my stock fj40 wheels 2 years+ ago with nothing more than steal wool and rattle cans of Rustolem Hard Hat..........not hardly a chip on em now

chrome to paint is gonna be harder I think.

I painted one of mine last nite with a rattle can (slate gray). I used a couple of different size wire wheels for grinder and 1/2" drill. It looked pretty good this morning. If I had the cash, I would have gone with blasting/powder coat. Oh well, four more to go.

74fj40 said:
i got black rims at discount tires for 38 bucks a peice. not a bad deal if you ask me. they were unique series

You can't really paint them for that. Chrome would need to be sandblasted, probably the aluminum, too, so figure 15-20 a piece for that, self etching primer, about $60 a quart (and you may need more than that to do four wheels), plus finish coat assuming inexpensive catalized acrylic enamel about $50 a gallon with hardned/reducer. $38 each begins to sound cheap.

JMO

Ed

I painted my steel wheels w/ Matthews acrylic poly (MAP) black almost 3 yrs ago & don't have a single scratch or chip. Although I would agree that powder coating would be best (although powder coating does fade over time)

74fj40 said:
heres the wheels, theyre stil 38 bucks a peice. youll have to find the right back spaceing though. i didnt so i had to buy some spacers

lets see those wheels?

Third the powdercoating. Of course I paid like $80 a piece for them. :frown:

74fj40 said:

I did not see a pair or Unique series black rims at 38$ on their website.

I wire wheeled my current set, rattle canned them, 2-3 coats each, then a layer of generic clear coat (all rattle can) and it has worked absolutely great, they almost look new and several months of hard wheeling... For what it's worth.. Andre

I sanded my chromies by hand the primed/painted them. Any time i get into deep gravel it scratches the hell out of them. I would definitely have em sandblasted first, I think that was my problem. Or maybe it was the Wal-Mart paint???

I am thinking something like those black Rock Crawlers from 4 Wheel Parts might be more affordable and less hassel. my time + rattle can costs versus 40-60$ per new black wheels from a store done in 1 hour? maybe just easier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom