Paint work for the pros... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well after a couple attempts at matching my Cedarwood Brown trim color with disappointing outcomes. I am going to hire a hot rod shop skilled in matching colors and doing sympathetic restorations to paint my FJ80 Fender Flares. Once I get the front seats recovered (SOR$$$) and this paint work done, I will have a nice, rust-free, low-mile 91 FJ80 with just the right amount of patina left on it.

I will also soon have a 92 FJ80 for sale that honorably gave up a few bits, i.e. bumpers, seats, dash, tires, etc etc. to give this one a new lease on life. It needs a lot and now has the cracked dash, faded seats, and rough bumpers to match its midwestern frame which shows a bit of rust. I still think it has value and someone will enjoy making it their hunting rig or weekend project.

Now we can all set back and wait for the values to catch the FJ60's.

IMG_2335.jpg

IMG_1018.jpg

So pretty!

It will be much prettier once those flares match.

Last edited:
Well, Delivered baby to the spa for the paint work. It will be all good in a week. I can't wait to see how it turns out.

Any good paint shop should be able to match the color dead ok n by using a densotomoter.

Yes, I had an auto parts store who used one of those do that for me on my last attempt to paint it myself. They mixed it up for me but it just did not come out right. I am sure part of it was pilot error but I am glad that the paint shop will be doing it right. This rig started as a "learner" vehicle for my 15 year old and now has turned into a full on sympathetic restoration/preservation project. It should be nice but just too nice to leave in the High School parking lot.

RKTINC

Any good paint shop should be able to match the color dead ok n by using a densotomoter.

In theory, yes.

But always do a sprayout card from a sample pint, ESP when working in the burgundy or any gold to silver color. It can save you amazing amounts of $$ & even more time.

Sample price a qt of PPG, paint has easily 3x’d in price the last decade.

In theory, yes.

But always do a sprayout card from a sample pint, ESP when working in the burgundy or any gold to silver color. It can save you amazing amounts of $$ & even more time.

Sample price a qt of PPG, paint has easily 3x’d in price the last decade.

I'm talking about a Paint Shop, not an AZ uto parts store.

I'm talking about a Paint Shop, not an AZ uto parts store.

I stand by what I said.

In fact I’m done with PPG since it is higher priced than House of Kolor now.
My Dad was the one to think of moving to Kolor, he gets the cred.

I think I have stated before, they are subsidizing the water based paints program off the oil-base, and I was quoted nearly $1800 in paint, primer, clearcoat & reducers alone o_Oo_O

That was only enough paint to do a respray of a bare 60 body, no sandpaper, foam blocks, body butter, or any other hard good.

I stand by what I said.

In fact I’m done with PPG since it is higher priced than House of Kolor now.
My Dad was the one to think of moving to Kolor, he gets the cred.

I think I have stated before, they are subsidizing the water based paints program off the oil-base, and I was quoted nearly $1800 in paint, primer, clearcoat & reducers alone o_Oo_O

That was only enough paint to do a respray of a bare 60 body, no sandpaper, foam blocks, body butter, or any other hard good.

The O P was complaining about color MATCHING , not pricing. He was vfx working on 3 strikes.....

So pleased with the outcome of my recent paint work. As originally stated, I finally gave up and hired a pro to remove, repair, paint match and reinstall my flares. I had great luck personally doing my valance & bumper repair and repaint but the flares proved to be beyond my level of expertise. I paid up and had it done correctly and am very pleased.

Seats are at the upholstry shop this week, antenna parts are on the bench. Found a good OEM radio to replace the "BOSS" junk in the dash. This 124k mile, one owner (now two) California rig is starting to really look good.
IMG_4430.JPG
IMG_2420_2.jpg

Looks fantastic. What are your plans for the hood?

I have a 93 from sun baked Cali and I plan on painting it piece by piece since my boss won't allow me to put the truck in the paint booth but I can paint pieces in the booth:meh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom