Paint Repair (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.tontorecreationalliance.org
Rob has had some clear coat issues in a couple of areas on his rig. Cant find any evidence of body damage, but some spots have been resprayed and the newer clear coat hasn't held up well. We repaired one spot as an experiment a year or so ago and it’s held up well, so we worked on some of the bigger spots. This is a pretty common problem in AZ, so I shot some pix in case anyone has this clear coat issues and wants to attempt to repair it.

Some shots of the issues, a large spot on the rear of the quarter, failures at blend lines, and several very poor touch up jobs.
3-28-2008_1.jpg
3-28-2008_2.jpg
3-28-2008_3.jpg

Rob scraped most of the white, loose clear off with a plastic scraper. Then taped off the area to be painted and carefully ruffed it up using fine sandpaper and steel wool. Even being very careful we sanded through the color in a spot, had some base coat mixed at the paint store and touched it up using the hole in a piece of paper method.
3-28-2008_4.jpg
3-28-2008_5.jpg

Removed the tape, cleaned everything, reapplied tape for paint, using the normal method where we wanted a hard line and back tape method where we wanted a softer line. Bagged the panels well away from the paint area and sprayed. We shot it with Krylon Industrial spray paint, it has held up well in other areas. This is about the biggest area that I would use it on, spraying with a gun would have made controlling orange peel, over spray, etc easier.
3-28-2008_6.jpg
3-28-2008_7.jpg

Very happy with the way it came out, after it cures for a week or so we will buff the surrounding area and it should blend well. There will be some texture, but a huge improvement over what it was!:hillbilly:
3-28-2008_8.jpg
3-28-2008_9.jpg
3-28-2008_10.jpg

Cool deal, like the one on the front. Quick question, though: why did y'all (sorry, I'm just practicing my new accent...) mask the rear bumper? We all know it could have used some paint...:flipoff2:

... Quick question, though: why did y'all (sorry, I'm just practicing my new accent...) mask the rear bumper? We all know it could have used some paint...:flipoff2:

Didn't want to mess up it's "self healing finish"!:hillbilly:

What's "clear coat"?

(Ohhhh... that must be that vaguely shiny stuff between all the patches of primer on the diesel...)

:hillbilly:

If the orange peel bothers you, get some 1500-2000 grit and wet sand it, then buff with SuperDuty or Microfinishing compound from 3m, or equivalent. I'd prolly spray a small piece of scrap metal with the paint now, and try sanding it after your paint 'cures' (dries, if no activator was used) to make sure the paint won't rub off. I've never tried wet sanding spray paint. It might just ball up on the paper. Even buffing it might 'drag' it, which is another good reason to spray a test panel.

-Spike

If the orange peel bothers you, get some 1500-2000 grit and wet sand it, then buff with SuperDuty or Microfinishing compound from 3m, or equivalent. I'd prolly spray a small piece of scrap metal with the paint now, and try sanding it after your paint 'cures' (dries, if no activator was used) to make sure the paint won't rub off. I've never tried wet sanding spray paint. It might just ball up on the paper. Even buffing it might 'drag' it, which is another good reason to spray a test panel.

-Spike

The test panel was the right rear door, it sands and buffs well.:hillbilly: It will probably get some sand and buff action, not that it matters, knowing Rob's affinity for rubbing the paint on brush, it will be well scratched in record time!:hillbilly:

...knowing Rob's affinity for whining about rubbing the paint on brush, it will be well scratched in record time and he'll be crying a river!:hillbilly:

Fixed it for ya! :flipoff2:

-Spike (Just joking Rob, don't get Kevin's panties all bunched up. :D)

Fixed it for ya! :flipoff2:

-Spike (Just joking Rob, don't get Kevin's panties all bunched up. :D)

At least I have paint :flipoff2::flipoff2:.
You gotta get a handle on that jealousy thing, Spike.:clap:

The test panel was the right rear door, it sands and buffs well.:hillbilly: It will probably get some sand and buff action, not that it matters, knowing Rob's affinity for rubbing the paint on brush, it will be well scratched in record time!:hillbilly:

Most of those scratches come from turning around! :steer::bang:

Cool deal, like the one on the front. Quick question, though: why did y'all (sorry, I'm just practicing my new accent...) mask the rear bumper? We all know it could have used some paint...:flipoff2:

I worked hard on that rust colored patina, didn't want to make it shine.:eek:
Accually, we didn't mask the bumper, the plastic was just long enough to cover it. :bounce:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom