paint recommendations

Discussion in 'Camping & Outdoor Gear' started by Overlord, Mar 5, 2004.

1. Overlord

Overlord

Anyone recommend a good paint for paint a PTO winch, along with the driveshafts, flarelead, etc.? I would use POR-15, but it fricken expensive. Plus I've heard it doesn't work so well non-rusty surfaces. The winch and other parts are rust free, bare metal.

2. Poser

Poser Oh...Durka Durka Durka. s-Moderator Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    Cat black.

Works great, lasts a long time.

Good luck!

-Steve

3. Overlord

Overlord

[quote author=Poser link=board=14;threadid=12579;start=msg115537#msg115537 date=1078473065]
    Cat black.

Works great, lasts a long time.

Good luck!

-Steve
    [/quote]

Is that a brand? Did a google search and didn't come up with anything related to paint.

Should I use a primer first? Does it really matter?

4. dd113

dd113

For general use rustoleum gloss black hardhat is great. Trick is to clean and prep then prime the surface.Sand it then degrease it, I use NAPA Fill N Wash, then hit it with hard hat primer then top coat. The depot sells it. I think it is about the best rattle can you can get.

Slightly more complicated but better is using an Acrylic Enamel auto paint. NAPA has a few cheap brands that work out to about $6 a qt. mixed. A spray quart will cover a lot of stuff. You need compressor, gun etc.... better quality overall and much harder when cured. Not hard to learn at all for smaller parts; full panels are a bigger problem.

What you get for the PITA factor is a much deeper colour, much harder, will not react to most solvents and will last a long time.
    I have a ful spary set up and I still buy a bunch of hard hat gloss black :flipoff2: just cuz I am lazy

5. Landpimp

Landpimp GOLD Star

Media:
    I'll second Davids recomendation of Rustolem Industial Hardhat spray paint, the stuff drys very hard, I use it on my wheels and they have held up great for over a year.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.