paint recommendations (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone recommend a good paint for paint a PTO winch, along with the driveshafts, flarelead, etc.? I would use POR-15, but it fricken expensive. Plus I've heard it doesn't work so well non-rusty surfaces. The winch and other parts are rust free, bare metal.

Cat black.

Works great, lasts a long time.

Good luck!

-Steve

[quote author=Poser link=board=14;threadid=12579;start=msg115537#msg115537 date=1078473065]
Cat black.

Works great, lasts a long time.

Good luck!

-Steve
[/quote]

Is that a brand? Did a google search and didn't come up with anything related to paint.

Should I use a primer first? Does it really matter?

For general use rustoleum gloss black hardhat is great. Trick is to clean and prep then prime the surface.Sand it then degrease it, I use NAPA Fill N Wash, then hit it with hard hat primer then top coat. The depot sells it. I think it is about the best rattle can you can get.

Slightly more complicated but better is using an Acrylic Enamel auto paint. NAPA has a few cheap brands that work out to about $6 a qt. mixed. A spray quart will cover a lot of stuff. You need compressor, gun etc.... better quality overall and much harder when cured. Not hard to learn at all for smaller parts; full panels are a bigger problem.

What you get for the PITA factor is a much deeper colour, much harder, will not react to most solvents and will last a long time.
I have a ful spary set up and I still buy a bunch of hard hat gloss black :flipoff2: just cuz I am lazy

I'll second Davids recomendation of Rustolem Industial Hardhat spray paint, the stuff drys very hard, I use it on my wheels and they have held up great for over a year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom