Paint recommendation for springs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.humboldt.edu
I am finally finding the time and space to replace the suspension on my 42 with TIC Parabolics. They are painted blue, however, and would like to paint them to look OEM before install. I assume this means a gloss black, but I'd like a paint that will hold up better than ACE rattle cans.

Tx,
B:cheers:

I sanded mine with the DA using 120 grit. Then sprayed a light coat of PPG DP50LF primer, then hit with MTK single stage ureathane.

Pics about half way down this page if you want to check it out.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=39575&page=5

They look really nice, haven't been down the rode yet, not done. Should hold up extremely well though.

Hope this helps, Matt

Thanks Matt--that's the way to do it, but may be beyond my skill/equipment. Your prepping experience though will save me some time. Thanks!

Last edited:
NorCalCruzr said:
Thanks buck--that's the way to do it. How do you springs ride on/off road?

I don't know yet. Goto the last page of that thread, I still have a few more months before I know how they ride.

You probably will know before I do, so let me know ;)

Matt

buckroseau said:
I don't know yet. Goto the last page of that thread, I still have a few more months before I know how they ride.

You probably will know before I do, so let me know ;)

Matt

Sorry, I didn't read through everything first before I posted, then I edited. Roger that on the ride--I hope to get mine on before Xmas if my bro will get his junked Sub off our jackstands!

B

on a side note, i heard getting graphite spray paint and spraying between each leaf does wonders for the ride quality, if you've ever heard of buying those teflon strips to put inbetween the leaf strips its just as good..

just trying to help...good luck

bandy rooster said:
on a side note, i heard getting graphite spray paint and spraying between each leaf does wonders for the ride quality, if you've ever heard of buying those teflon strips to put inbetween the leaf strips its just as good..

just trying to help...good luck

Right, but the main feature of the parabolics is that the leaves don't touch except at the u-bolt pack. There are poly bushings at the ends of the leaves. This all reduces friction like the lubes you are talking about, reducing the starting friction of the springs and allowing them to be more responsive over small bumps.
TLC-40-kit.jpg

Just at the u-bolts, where the springs are thickest.

anybody ever personally make a parabolic spring pack, or just buy them? (THEORETICALLY) It shouldn't be that hard. What do you think?

I used "slipkote" on my leaf springs and it worked very well. I however did this in the wrong fashion as I thought the slipkote paint was more of a paint than a lubricant. It should really be thought as a lubricant and not a paint. I would paint each leaf with whatever you wish and then top coat the top of each leaf with the graphite based slipkote.

Noah
SpringsSlipplated.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom