$$ Paint Job ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just curious what people are paying to re-paint the 40s?

I hv an Olive One which the interior doors and dash has decent paint.
I was thinking of painting just the exterior.

Thanks,
CS

Last edited:
ITs a better way of doing it,a lot of rust starts under the rubber.Keeping it long term?

I did linex on mine inside and out for 1800.00

All depends on what you start with, what you want to end up with, how much you can do, who you can find interested in painting it for you, on and on and one.

People here have painted their trucks for under $100 in spray bombs to companies like TLC, CCoT, etc that can run six figures. A little more info and pictures could maybe get us in the same universe of options.

All depends what your looking for........

For instance; the 40s were never super clean even new, you can see all the spot welds down the side. You have to think about what your going to want a driveway beauty (like alot of people have) or a actual working rig that you wont be afraid of. Seems stupid to me to spend 2k and up for something your just going to cry kick and scream about first door ding, rock chip, or branch scratch. Again my 2c

thanks for the replies.

i hv a few areas that are bare metal that need to have something on them.
otherwise the current paint job is fine with me. its not perfect, but i hv seen worse.
i live on the texas gulf and wanted to paint for rust purposes as the rig is pretty rust free right now.

I was thinking nothing fancy, just tape off most everything and paint the exterior only. not mess with the interior. maybe paint the doors complete and the windshield frame. Try to match the interior paint as well as you could.

no body work needed, i was thinking to sand/prime/paint it would run approx 500-800 ?

CS

For instance; the 40s were never super clean even new, you can see all the spot welds down the side. You have to think about what your going to want a driveway beauty (like alot of people have) or a actual working rig that you wont be afraid of.

Nicely said because the difference is in $'s

i live on the texas gulf and wanted to paint for rust purposes as the rig is pretty rust free right now.

Unfortunately the rust on a fj doesn't come from where you can see so a scuff and shoot in my mind wouldn't gain you any longevity especially if you do not remove the windows plus you will have paint lines at the edge of the rubber if you dont at least rope the seals.

I was told once to figure 1200.00 in supplies such as paper, tape, sand paper, sealer, primer, paint, clear, etc. and I have recently found it to be true. My price quote i just recieved for reducer, paint, clear, and possibly maybe activator?? was 425.00 and that was for mid grade stuff. That will put me at everybit of 1200 when it is over and i didnt have to pay for labor.

Hope this helps

Paid $1500 for an inside and out job (less the dash). It is stored in a garage when not used so the paint is holding up well. It's a single stage paint so it would not fare so well if it was outside all of the time. The clearcoat will be more expensive.

Later,

just paid $1500 for armacoat tub and underneath in matching color of paint. Paint is another $3000. But it will be better than new. I am leaving the spot welds because that is part of what I think is awesome about the look of the old LC's. Also i have $800 in the frame sandblasting and paint. Did some rust repairs but mostly just surface. Will also be painting roof and rain gutter when they are ready to put together.

If you read my build thread, I paid $3k for the guy to put on a new 1/2 tub, remove all glass, and paint the whole thing inside and out including painting all wheel wells/fender wells black, and doing the underneath with a super tough gray acrylic paint. I did the frame and everything else myself. So I guess I got a good deal. Just HATED waiting... Price also included putting on all new weather strip, and mounting the tub on the frame.

All in all it looks really good.

Forgot. He also repainted the roof and put in a new headliner.

Last edited:
I just spent about 2500 to have my fenders sandblasted and primed, my doors blasted and new lowers put on, my bib fixed, blasted and primed, and my windshield frame blasted and primed. I then bought 2 ambulance doors from cruiser parts.net that they blasted and painted for 900$. I am going to just get maaco to paint it because i love to take it deep in the woods and dont care so much about the paint, i just wanted the rust gone. They have a special. 1/2 price on the presidential paint special....199$

I am about ready to paint and have $525 in paint and primer supplies. I'm using OMNI 2 part base/clear coat. I wanted to use PPG but I couldn't justify putting $400/gal paint on a cruiser. That consists of 1 gallon of each plus hardeners.

done painting. I got a great deal and it cost just over $8,000 for my paint job. This includes trade for wine, which I figure has zero cost. (about 6 cases). But this is first class paint job with armacoat. 2 years ago in a good economy it would have easily been $12,000. Will be posting build up in a week or 2.

I'm in the wrong business... WOW!! I have maybe $60-70 in mine. It's made to be scratched and touched up, though.

done painting. I got a great deal and it cost just over $8,000 for my paint job. This includes trade for wine, which I figure has zero cost. (about 6 cases). But this is first class paint job with armacoat. 2 years ago in a good economy it would have easily been $12,000. Will be posting build up in a week or 2.

I'm sure you have a beautiful paint job, and if you're happy that's what matters. that said, there is no paint job on an FJ40 that's worth 12000 dollars. With it being impossible to put over 1000.00 in paint and suppliies on an FJ40 (actually averages around 600.00), someone is really really really really really proud of their work. That's the kind of cash TLC talks about. In this economy, it's beyond the pale.

$5500 for blasting, epoxy etch prime, prep, paint, and clear coat on all body parts, including a spare set of half doors. There was extra effort on the seams of the firewall, doors, and windshield frame. I delivered panels to the painter, and did all reassembly myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom