Paint in California vs. Out of California (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The intent of my original post was to determine if auto painting was less expensive out of state than in California. This state is well know for regulating industries to death. If anyone can answer my original post I would be appreciative.
Sorry for my part in derailing your thread. You might check prices at multi-state repair shop chains (Maaco, Service King, etc.) and see if they are significantly elevated in Cali. I'd guess they might be somewhat higher, but I doubt it would be enough to offset travel cost and inconveniences.

The intent of my original post was to determine if auto painting was less expensive out of state than in California. This state is well know for regulating industries to death. If anyone can answer my original post I would be appreciative.

With all due respect, you're asking the internet whether auto painting is less expensive out of a state that's the 4th largest economy in the world ahead of Germany, India and the UK.

Sure you could find less expensive aka cheap (anywhere), but it all varies based on your expectations of the end result, finding a shop that you can trust, their availability/familiarity + your time + the depth of your pockets. It's like you want to compare McDonald's vanilla cone pricing in the States.

What a weird question. Good luck, bud. LOL

With all due respect, you're asking the internet whether auto painting is less expensive out of a state that's the 4th largest economy in the world ahead of Germany, India and the UK.

Sure you could find less expensive aka cheap (anywhere), but it all varies based on your expectations of the end result, finding a shop that you can trust, their availability/familiarity + your time + the depth of your pockets. It's like you want to compare McDonald's vanilla cone pricing in the States.

What a weird question. Good luck, bud. LOL
What I am trying to determine is if the regulatory hurdles in California have caused the cost of auto painting to be higher than similar paint jobs in other states.

Sorry for my part in derailing your thread. You might check prices at multi-state repair shop chains (Maaco, Service King, etc.) and see if they are significantly elevated in Cali. I'd guess they might be somewhat higher, but I doubt it would be enough to offset travel cost and inconveniences.
This is what I am trying to determine.

This is what I am trying to determine.
Yep, I get that. I'm suggesting that you could answer the question by either finding paint costs online for locations in Cali and outside of Cali, or calling them for the same info. Obviously you are going to get different costs at different companies, but by finding out the costs that a multi-state chain charges in different states, you can infer whether or not costs are higher in Cali across the industry, or not.

What I am trying to determine is if the regulatory hurdles in California have caused the cost of auto painting to be higher than similar paint jobs in other states.
I imagine the cost of labor and real estate (i.e. shop rent) may cause the costs to be higher. But I doubt "regulatory hurdles" have much impact (other than the type of materials, since water based paint is required in CA). Someone I follow on IG took their car from San Francisco to Reno to be painted because the cost was lower and the paint was "better". But that's just 1 data point. Eventually, you're just going to have to pick a shop local to you to get a quote and then one from out of state and do your own comparison.

I recently had my 80 repainted (original Moonglow Pearl), glass removed, new seals, they had to remove 2 prior repaints that did not adhere well and the clear was peeling. Had 15 hours or so of body work and no rust at all. Good southern Cali truck. We started at $12,000 ended up at $15,000 and it's pretty good not perfect which is what I wanted, perfect costs $$$$$. And I was fairly confident going in that I had a no rust and no major body damage to repair and I was correct. I would do it again. It's still worth more than I have into it,View attachment 3217933 in my eyes
$15k and it still has issues with the paint? How much of that bill was fixing previous paint job?

I imagine the cost of labor and real estate (i.e. shop rent) may cause the costs to be higher. But I doubt "regulatory hurdles" have much impact (other than the type of materials, since water based paint is required in CA). Someone I follow on IG took their car from San Francisco to Reno to be painted because the cost was lower and the paint was "better". But that's just 1 data point. Eventually, you're just going to have to pick a shop local to you to get a quote and then one from out of state and do your own comparison.
I’d imagine rent alone makes the price higher without an increase in quality. Add onto the fact that I’m sure CA bans certain types of paint or paint jobs that could be better. There’s a lot of reasons TLC4x4 moved out of CA and Jonathan Ward mentioned the struggles for him to buy his own repaint booth and then operating it to get a good job done on it.

@SoCal80series I'm the gulity party for derailing your post, sorry about that.

It wouldn't be surprising that a paint job, or anything/everything, would be higher in Cali due to higher taxes, State Environmental rules, etc. But then if you had to drive a few hundred miles to get it painted, drop off your vehicle, find a way back home, then return in a few weeks/months to pick it up, that would be an added expense of course.

Have you gotten any estimates locally?

$15k and it still has issues with the paint? How much of that bill was fixing previous paint job?
I wouldn't say there are issues with the paint, the work is good it just not a show car. I've done show cars, in this day an age its approx. $35,000 and up.
There was no fixing the old paint with the exception of jambs all old paint was removed to bare metal.

Last edited:
To your original question, I think Washington state is getting close to Cali in the regulatory aspect of getting things done. I guess it depends if you find somebody painting in a barn somewhere where you might have a warranty or a well known commercial operation that you know what your getting. As said before take LC to shops and get bids, that's what I did. Its not instant gratification, don't take our word for it takes time and research. Good Luck

One data point.
I got a quote from a hole in the wall shop in Oakland that looks like it shouldn’t exist, but gets great referrals.

$3500-$4000for clear coat only. No prep. Lasts 5-8 years.

My brother in law in Texas has an independent repair shop sends paint out, knows my rig, said he’d expect $2000-$2500 for same job. Of course it would be $12k in round trip fuel to get there.

I’d imagine rent alone makes the price higher without an increase in quality. Add onto the fact that I’m sure CA bans certain types of paint or paint jobs that could be better. There’s a lot of reasons TLC4x4 moved out of CA and Jonathan Ward mentioned the struggles for him to buy his own repaint booth and then operating it to get a good job done on it.
TLC sort of moved, sort of didn't; he sold it. Because the buyer is out of state, TLC is now out of state, and JW is (to my knowledge) no longer involved with it. He's all-ICON-all-the-time now.

I’m following this thread. I’m in TN and am found it very difficult to find someone to paint my cruiser. No one wants my money because they’re too busy with insured collision work.

Anyway, mine will be painted in Flagstaff, AZ by a mud member, Kelly Saad. He is talented, knows cruisers, and has a good rep here. I’m excited to get this done!

Good luck, hope you find a worthy place for your cruisers new paint.
you will definitely not be disappointed!!

A few years ago when my 60 was still in central California, I knew of a one man custom paint shop. He was an artist and friend of my artist Mom, did a lot of lowrider and hot rods. He told me how to do most the prep work. I spent the whole Summer after hours getting her ready. He charged me $1,000 for the shoot. I kept the same exact toyota silver. Still holding up pretty good, fortunately my 60 is garaged.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom