Paint flaking on window trim....ideas? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Black paint is failing/flaking/fading on my 01 LX. I’d love any advice on a long-term solution. Wrap? Paint, if so, what kind? Anyone’s past experiences and suggestions are welcome.
DC4A3511-5349-4BF2-9280-DA8113847CC7.jpeg

I hit those in the first month with the rig. I had some surface rust coming in as well, so I hit the rust with sandpaper and then masked and painted the window surrounds. Took a bit of time to properly mask, but the painting was easy enough, and was 100% worth it to get ahead of the rust.

Edit- also I replaced the bottom window trim. You can find replacements pretty cheap on ebay and the like, and it's a really simple job that only takes a few minutes.

Paint or replace. Neither too hard.

Black paint is failing/flaking/fading on my 01 LX. I’d love any advice on a long-term solution. Wrap? Paint, if so, what kind? Anyone’s past experiences and suggestions are welcome.View attachment 3339723
The method was an overlay, not really designed for long term durability. I think coming off the production line in Japan this was initially intended to have that stainless finish then was overlayed last minute to have that satin black sleek finish -depended on what country/region it was intended to be sold. I wouldn’t toss this if it doesn’t have any dents or damage, but I would sand it 400 & 800 grit then spray a coat of primer then base coat then 2k clear for durability reasons.

Vinyl is an option. I used Cricut vinyl scraps on the trim of an LS430 (same problem). Holding up great and it only took a few min's to apply. Also, it is reversible.

The method was an overlay, not really designed for long term durability. I think coming off the production line in Japan this was initially intended to have that stainless finish then was overlayed last minute to have that satin black sleek finish -depended on what country/region it was intended to be sold. I wouldn’t toss this if it doesn’t have any dents or damage, but I would sand it 400 & 800 grit then spray a coat of primer then base coat then 2k clear for durability reasons.
Is satin black the oem color for the vertical trim? I searched but no luck on info regarding specific color used.

question: I have that problem on the lower external trim. In my rig, the black coating that is peeling seems to have rubber properties as it also seems to merge with the window wiper material.

comments?

This was my Partsouq order. easy to replace and is now brand new

#1 - 7572060061 MOULDING ASSY, FRONT DOOR BELT, LH Toyota $37.18 #2 - 7571060061 MOULDING ASSY, FRONT DOOR BELT, RH Toyota $37.21 , #3 - 7573060041 MOULDING ASSY, REAR DOOR BELT, RH Toyota $37.26 , #4 - 7574060041 MOULDING ASSY, REAR DOOR BELT, LH Toyota $37.18

Land Shark is correct on replacing the window (horizontal) trim on the bottom. Relatively cheap and easy to do.

I’m in the same boat on the trim that runs vertically where the driver’s door abuts the B pillar. Pitting and small surface rust spots.

I saw a build on here where someone took polishing compound and it looks like it cleaned up nicely but i dont know what his looked like preoperatively or how to do that. If someone has done/does a full write up on painting v. Polishing v. Replacing (if that’s an option. I can’t find a part number anyhwere) that would be helpful to many.

The bottom trim is very simple: Buy new trim from Toyota/Lexus. It's dirt cheap and it's amazing it's still available. Doing any kind of refurbishment on those seems crazy to me. Buy the new stuff and enjoy the uniform satin sheen for the next 15 years. Boom, done.

Land Shark is correct on replacing the window (horizontal) trim on the bottom. Relatively cheap and easy to do.

I’m in the same boat on the trim that runs vertically where the driver’s door abuts the B pillar. Pitting and small surface rust spots.

I saw a build on here where someone took polishing compound and it looks like it cleaned up nicely but i dont know what his looked like preoperatively or how to do that. If someone has done/does a full write up on painting v. Polishing v. Replacing (if that’s an option. I can’t find a part number anyhwere) that would be helpful to many.

On that vertical part I think the approach is:

1. If still all black, polish with increasing grit. Start with polish, then rubbing compound, then 1000 and work up to maybe 600/400. If you can't get it uniform with those grits, you probably need to re-paint.
2. Once it's uniform, work your way back up in grit to a fine polish and wax/Clear bra (PPF).
3. If you break through to metal or if there's existing pitting/damage, time to prep for paint. Sand smooth, primer, paint. For this sort of thing, I like epoxy black from VHT. If you're so inclined, you can do the real deal auto paint with a primer, base and clear. Epoxy black is cheap and fast so that was go to for lots of non-body panels. With that vertical piece being a very visible piece I personally would go for proper primer, base and clear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom