Paint Beautification (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I thought I would share a little progress on this paint project. I originally started out to do this myself and quickly realized if I wanted it to look nice that probably wasn't the best plan so I left it to a friend that has a body shop. He has been working on it when has time between real customers. My 40 has been flat green since I bought it off mud out of Utah in 2008. I've always dreamed of it being dune beige (416) so now is the time and also time to properly fix some rust.
This is the 40 in my sig line if you are interested in deeper details.
I removed the top and all doors right after purchase, no immediate plan right now for restoration on those bits but maybe some day. I do have a soft top that I used for one weekend.
This is the "before" of how it has looked for 10 years after I did the roll cage, lockers, bumpers, winch, wheels/tires and other tid bits.
40-Driveway.jpg

After I gutted the inside.
40 gutted.JPG

A little straightening of the flat parts
40 tub driver pre primer.jpg

40 tub pass pre primer.jpg

Bed repair with steel diamond plate.
40 Bed repaired.jpg

Great progress!

@Gappy That 40 looks really familiar. My buddy, Brandon had one just like it, rattle canned and all. Do you know where it was about 20 years ago?

I bought it off Mud 11-12 years ago from Utah. I don’t recall how long he had it but I think it may have been in Colorado before that. I do know Proffitts did some work on it.

@Gappy, great color choice! That 40 is going to look too nice to wheel

@Gappy, great color choice! That 40 is going to look too nice to wheel
That wasn't my intention but will probably be the case. At first I intended to paint it myself but I wanted the paint nicer than what I could do so here I am. Once some of the newness of the fresh paint wears off I could do some light wheeling with it.
My 80 is built for wheeling so that will help.

That wasn't my intention but will probably be the case. At first I intended to paint it myself but I wanted the paint nicer than what I could do so here I am. Once some of the newness of the fresh paint wears off I could do some light wheeling with it.
My 80 is built for wheeling so that will help.

I'm headed down the same road... just added my old man's 97 locked FZJ80 now that he doesn't drive any more and I am just starting to lay out plans for it. Doubt I will go as big as 37's but I'm thinking 35's, 3" lift, TC gear reductions to H & L ranges, armor it up and enjoy it. It needs work ... VC is bound up and the birfs sound bad but otherwise no rust and solid.

Good luck building that 40 back up

Outstanding Sir!

Looks great! Love the rocker execution.
Thanks for noticing. I made those a long time ago and used an old original step as a template then built my step out of 3/16” plate on to 3/16” wall rectangle tubing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom