Painless (NOT!) 1973 FJ40 turn signals question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

James Madigan

SILVER Star
Threads
im putting in a painless wiring harness.I have the headlights and taillight hooked up and working.There are conflicting instructions from painless, regarding the use of a Toyota flasher or using the 2 flashers that are built into the painless harness and im trying to not hook up hazard lights. I'd like to do that later.
My problem right now is that the left turn signals are working but not the right.I checked the power wire from the flasher and on left turn it pulses and on right turn its steady. This i did with the right light circuit disconnected. Si id o get a steady light on tester when right signal lever is on.
Question#1: Should i use a Toyota flasher instead of the 2 painless ones and then jumper the painless flasher receptacles.?
Question #2 Does this situation sound like its in the column signal switch?
Thanks for any help.

First of all I am no expert. I believe that the stock turn signals do operate through the hazard relay system and you will likely have to at least hook up the hazard lights. The Toyota flashers are mechanical and require a certain current to be drawn through them before they switch on or off. If you have LED bulbs they typically do not draw enough current to make the mechanical relays work. If any of your bulbs are burned or you do not have a good grounding throughout the system it will also not pull enough current to cause the mechanical relay to switch. IDK if the relays in the painless system are mechanical or electronic. Electronic relays cycle on and off without required loads. Some of them even have a built-in satisfying clicking noise to mimic the mechanical relays.$0.02.

Well thank you for the message .What i know is that the left turn blinkers work but not the right and that the blinker pulse to the solid green wire(power feed to switch works on left but on right turn is a steady flowing power ,using a test light on the purple wire that feeds the turn switch.

Ok now have hooked right turn signals to the gr/w wire coming from column, the signals now work on the right but they stay on and only go out when i put left turn signal on.

Ok now have hooked right turn signals to the gr/w wire coming from column, the signals now work on the right but they stay on and only go out when i put left turn signal on.

The painless harness is for a domestic system. You have to recreate Toyota’s turn/hazard/brake schematic to get it to work correctly. There are a handful of threads on mud explaining how to do this. PS, the wipers aren’t straight forward either.

Ok tied the hazard switch in to the turn signals,now i have left turn blinkers and if i pull the hazard switch out right side hazards,buty no right side blinkers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom