Painless Alternator wiring (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.outerlimitsupply.com
Think I have things jacked. White wire says "to alternator regulator exciter". Red plug says "to alternator output post". Red post type says "to battery source". When I supply power to the vehicle, the white wire gets incredibly hot. What do I have backwards? Alternator is marked with (E), (F), & (N).

image-2150753347.jpg

image-1440830080.jpg

image-1711721454.jpg
image-2150753347.jpg
image-1440830080.jpg
image-1711721454.jpg

It looks like you are using the wiring diagram for a internal regulator alternator but using a external regulator alternator. On the alternator the big red wire should go to the battery, The E on the alternator should go to a source the supplys power when the key is on and the F is the field the goes to the external voltage regulator.
This may help.
alt_schem.gif

Sweet, thank you. Spent the last few hours searching, playing with the voltmeter, & trying to make sense of my burned up harness. Your post just confirmed that I'm close. Here's where I'm at: exciter wire goes to ignition side of volt regulator, "F/ field" goes to out the regulator to the "F" on alternator. I then grounded the alternator to the block using the "E" tab on alternator. I've still got an extra 8g red wire that suppose to be attached to the alternators output post. I'm not sure which post that is & I'm not sure it matters. I think that both red wires can go to the same post. Any ideas?

So you have an alternator with an external Voltage Regulator.
On the Alternator:
B = Battery, E = Earth, F = Field and N = Null.
On the (3 wire) VR: IGN = Ignition, F = Field and E = Earth.
The wiring is as follows:
* From Ign key in "on" position to IGN terminal on the VR. This activates the VR and thus the alternator.
* From The F terminal on the VR to the F terminal on the alternator. This the actual "regulating" wire.
* From the E terminal on the VR to the E terminal on the alternator. This is to make sure that the alternator and the VR have the same ground. The alternator is already grounded by it's housing.
* The N terminal is not used in a 3 wire VR set up.

Rudi

Thanks to all that chimed in. Pulled a late one & got the front nearly done. Today will be the rear & dash. I will ground the alternator to the VR.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom