pain when braking (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone

Have had my 1970 almost stock fj40 for almost a year. Its really been just about a daily driver with the occasional swap out for highway stuff into my VW TDI

I noticed some back/sciatica pain on my right side after a few months of driving. THen when the FJ went into the shop for a new engine, the pain went away... as it goes now, if i drive it a bunch the pain come back, i guess its the braking... it does not have power brakes and i am starting to isolate the tension to the same muscles you use to push the brakes.

It does seem to take a lot of effort to brake the truck, does that seem right? I guess my options are:

1. have the existing brakes/pads checked to see if they can be adjusted?
2. convert to power brakes?
3. suck it up and stop complaining! I am driving a FJ40 and should be happy?

Any similar experiences or suggestions??

thanks!

Hi Jay,

I haven't run into the same issue, exactly, with my 40, but I'm 27 so hopefully I can avoid back problems for a few years!

These trucks were not really designed with ergonomics in mind. I find the seating position very high and far forward, which requires significantly more lifting of the leg to work the clutch or brake, leaning forward to shift, etc. This is made even more difficult by the fact that I am 6'1," and therefore hit the bottom of the huge school-bus steering wheel with my knees every time I shift. That said, it's a truck. It rides like a truck, and that's part of its "charm" to me! :hillbilly:

I have vacuum-assisted brakes (I'm assuming that's what you mean by power) but still running 4-wheel drums, and I find that they will lock the truck up and stand it on its nose with surprisingly little force - so if you think it's actually "stomping" the brakes that causes the pain, going to a later model booster setup will help. Original boosters are becoming very hard to come by, and therefore ridiculously expensive - but there are a TON of other Toyota vehicles with compatible boosters. I think mine is out of an early 90's 4-Runner. Forum Member Vae Victus started a post about compatible boosters. You could start there.

Suspension may also be part of the issue. My father refers to my truck as a "Kidney Buster." FJ40's ride like bricks, and I tend to feel bumps, potholes, speed bumps, curbs, etc. through my back (and my teeth!) Some lighter-load leaf springs and some softer shocks may help to improve on-road comfort.

Best of luck!

Power bakes may help you avoid an accident that could REALLY aggravate your sciatica which is kind of a nice bonus.

As for the sciatica, you may want to find exercises that strengthen your core muscles. Particularly your abs and pelvic floor. Sciatica is often associated with muscles in the back over-compensating for weakened muscles elsewhere in your core. This can put periodic strain on a nerve root. It is amazing how much relief can be had by dedicating 20-30 minutes a day to ab exercises, yoga, cycling, walking etc.... Your MD can prescribe a session with a physical therapist if it is persistent.

I dealt with back pain after a snowboarding accident years ago. My advice is to take every step you can to deal with it proactively. And avoid your cruiser until you get a booster at the very least. Disc front would be a good upgrade too. If you don't mind aftermarket seats you could certainly upgrade the comfort factor some there too.

Good luck

a brake booster would help

I second the advice on muscle strength - it has benefits beyond driving a cruiser

I had knee pain when I drove my 71 a bunch a few years ago. I realized that the stock seat was not centered on the steering wheel. When I switched out to bucket seat, I centered the bucket seat on the steering wheel, and my knee pain went away. Personally, I think switching to a comfy bucket seat and centering it on the steering wheel would help you immensely. Worth a shot at least.

Good luck!

:cheers:

Five late model vehicles to drive and I alway pick the oldest,carbureted,roughest rig o own.
I love driving the FJ,but then again I don't mind the pain.:steer:

What kind of condition is your seat in and how well does it fit you? I have had similar issues in the past and found that the combination of a poorly designed seat that was worn and unsupportive in the lumbar area that was also not designed for taller people caused the majority of my pain issues. Also since I am prone to back pain due to the type of work I do walking is a must for me as well. I walk 45 minutes at least 4 times a week and this is enough to keep me going pain free.

At any rate I think the braking effort should not be so great as to cause any problems. If it is the I would first give the system a good overhaul and adjustment then think about adding a booster if that doesn't bring it to a more acceptable level.

Pete

I moved my seat back a couple of inches... used to be that I would have a very sore leg/back after a 2 hr drive from the position of my foot on the pedals. With the seat moved back further I can drive all day no problem.

I also have now borrowed some nicer chairs out of a BMW that are good for some comfort as well and mounted the drivers side one on a suspension mount.

Check your drums and brake pads, it really should not be that hard to stop it with drum brakes. Drums might be really glazed over or some fluid on the pads. turning the drums would be cheap if they are not to worn. Discs and power booster would help, but I would not think it makes a huge difference compared to good working drums.

It does seem to take a lot of effort to brake the truck, does that seem right?

Yes. It does take a lot of foot pressure to stop the FJ40. How I know....converted drums to disk, swapped in an 80 series master, and a new vacuum booster from an 82 Celica. Now I use 80% less foot pressure on the brake pedal. I do not know how much work it would take to switch to vacuum assist brakes.

I also have Scat ProCar seats with their mounting bracket. Has helped a lot to reduce back fatigue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom