1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PAG46 oil quantity

Discussion in '60-Series Wagons' started by Cnut, May 17, 2018 at 2:17 PM.

1. Cnut

Cnut

After flushing lines, evaporator, and condenser, I will be installing a new compressor tomorrow. Prior to install, I’ll drain compressor oil to convert to R134.

How much oil goes back after draining and flushing system? Not flushing the compressor (per flushing instructions), is residual R12 oil left in compressor okay?

I saw 8oz somewhere, but couldn’t confirm accuracy.

2. georgebj60

georgebj60

i'll bump this one. I need to know this too, though I also saw 8oz mentioned somewhere so I'll be using that failing more information....

3. pithicus

pithicus

hmm 8oz seems like a lot, about 250 ml.
    Here is a paste from a google search .

A/C Compressor Oil Capacities

If you are replacing a compressor or other A/C system component, it is important to replace any compressor oil that has been lost when parts are changed. The total system oil capacity for many late model passenger car A/C systems is only about 4 ounces (120 ml). A low oil level can starve the compressor for oil and lead to compressor failure.

CAUTION: Do NOT overfill the the A/C system with too much compressor oil. Too much oil can hurt cooling performance.

Use the following guidelines for replacing compressor oil when changing A/C components:

Compressor.........1.4 oz
    Condenser..........1.0 oz
    Evaporator.........1.5 oz
    Accumulator........1.0 oz
    Hoses..............1.0 oz

The total amount of oil added to compensate for parts that have been replaced should NOT exceed the total oil capacity of the system. If you don't know what the total oil capacity is, check the underhood A/C service decal or look up the information in the OEM service literature.

4. Cnut

Cnut

unless told otherwise and after further reading/thought, I’ll be rolling with 8oz. However, if I remember reading the information on the drier correctly, I believe there is oil to add there as well. The compressor will get 8oz minus whatever goes into the drier.

5. Cnut

Cnut

Found this on the webs:

1989-1990 All Engines refrigerant type: R12 refrigerant qty: 32.00 oil type: Mineral oil qty: 7.75

oil question answered and, at 75% ish of R12 volume, 24oz (two cans) R134 in system.

6. georgebj60

georgebj60

Thanks. I did some searching last night and found some similar info. I will also go with 8oz total.

7. georgebj60

georgebj60

Just posted in this link asking for an answer on oil volume. Hopefully they can confirm the 8oz amount for sure....

8. Willard

Willard SILVER Star

9. ThreeEyedBandit

ThreeEyedBandit

10. georgebj60

georgebj60

Thanks for posting this. I downloaded and read the entire TSB. So much contradictory information out there. According to the TSB, Toyota says no need to flush the R12 oil out of the system, just add the requisite amount of PAG oil as per the chart. That's probably why it's such small quantity (100ml). Anyway, I'm going to swing by the shop that will eventually finalize and charge my system (my truck is not mobile, and I'm replacing every part of the a/c system myself and then having a local shop button it up, make final connections, vacuum and charge). So I'll need TOTAL volume as if it was new. I'll post up what I find....

11. ThreeEyedBandit

ThreeEyedBandit

Let us all know. I just checked on AllData and they claim that 5.5-7.5oz is the total amount of oil required for the system. Seems excessive, and now has me intrigued.

12. georgebj60

georgebj60

Sorry, I wasn't able to get over to the a/c place. It's a long weekend here, but I will try again next week and post up as soon as I have more info...

13. ThreeEyedBandit

ThreeEyedBandit

Sounds good. I did some reading and all the literature(including Denso) state that for the 10P15 and 10PA15 compressors require around 225ml of oil. Sounds like all the higher quantities are in the range.

14. Cnut

Cnut

FWIW, I wrapped up Friday with 7oz in compressor and 0.7oz in drier. I flushed lines and components first, so residual R12 oil was cleaned out. Blowing cold now.