"@paflytyer" Road to recovery after major back surgery (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Holy smokes! I've been so tunnel vision lately I just read this as well. Stan is a great guy from what I personally know and what I hear. Last year he went out of his way to offer me help for Trekboxx, and we had never spoken. Great job setting up the fundraiser, it's my next stop...

Stan, you're in my thoughts. I hope that each day gets a little easier, and it will. Stay the course and let those around you take some of the burden. I know it's probably hard for a guy like you, but it will help tremendously. And I'm sure they're glad to do it.

Oh- by the way- didn't anyone ever tell you to keep the shiny side up? :0

David
-one of those dumb pilots ;)

If you know Stan, he's a tough guy who would be the last to ask for anything. He'd rather give you everything he has than be the guy who needs help. Many of us are like that -- but when things get bad, it's great to have friends who can help.

We've set up a GoFundMe campaign to help Stan and his family. If you'd like to contribute, here is the link:
Click here to support Stan Wright Support Fund by Toyota Land Cruiser Association

Thanks to everyone for their support, whether it's financial or prayers.

thanks again for setting this up Karie.. and recover quick, Stan! text/call/email if you need anything

Just found this thread... Stan, get well soon man! This is a big bummer but very happy to see how the Toyota and 100 series clan and Stan's friends and family have supported him.

Any recent updates?

Hope things are continuing to improve. Onward and upward!

Stan had a bit of a setback and was transferred back to Sky Ridge Hospital for another surgery. Here is what he said

I was supposed to leave Craig tomorrow and start a 5 time per week outpatient physical therapy program, however, I suffered a pretty severe setback and have been transferred back to Sky Ridge Medical Center for another surgery. I'm pretty bummed about the whole thing because I've worked so hard to get to where I was.

Everything happened kind of fast and I don't even know too much. I was in unreal pain and was sent to Swedish for an MRI. The MRI showed that I have a severe herniation that's pressing on my spinal cord at T11/12. That's lower than my current injury and should be a much easier surgery. That's about all I know right now. It's causing a lot of pain and took away the use of my right leg again.

I'll be back when the time is right. This is just a small setback and there are a lot of folks at Craig that would swap positions with me in a heartbeat. That really keeps all of this in perspective for me. I'll be driving with hand controls for at least a while..... Hopefully not forever. It's probably best to start me out on the easy trails at first, but you can pencil me in for leading the Kokopelli Expedition for Cruise Moab 2016, even if I'm driving with one hand and throttling/braking with the other.

First post updated, you've gotta read it!

Thanks @Get outside and everyone else for all the well wishes and positive vibes. Quick update from me. I am home now and waiting to start rehab again. I may not be improving as much as expected, so I may be heading back to Craig Hospital as inpatient again. I am improving though, and that's all that matters. I have plenty of time to be ready for 2016. Chris (@bluecruiser) and I are planning on leading the Kokopelli Expedition again this year (end of April) and then we're continuing on from Moab all the way to Baja.

HIH6 is still on and we are doing some of the legwork for that over the next few weeks. Life continues on whether I'm in a wheelchair or in a 100. 2016 will be an epic year. I plan on living it with friends and family doing all of the things we love. Chris even said he'd lift me up into my rtt each night and hold my wag-bags for me. ;)

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. Your notes, messages and calls have been awesome. I am so thankful to be a member of this community and for the friendships I've made along the way.

Quick update, I am back in rehab at Craig Hospital, but just as an outpatient 5-days per week. I am able to move both legs/feet, I just don't have any feeling other than pressure. I make progress day by day and that's all I can ask for. I expect to be walking on my own in less than 6 months. Driving is still up in the air. I have to complete a handicapped driving course, but I'm not expecting any issues. I will either drive totally normal, drive with my left foot, or use hand controls. I'm not concerned about which method I use, as long as I can enjoy the view in front of me and I can follow my bumper down the trail.

Last edited:
Sending some good karma your way......keep the faith

@paflytyer. I have been off the 100s forum for a while, after having purchased my 2010 LX. Getting back on today, I saw this thread. OMG! I have seen you on here from time to time and have enjoyed your input to the forum. Please know that our family is wishing the best for you and yours.
Take care,

Jonathan

Thanks again to everyone who has reached out, called me, texted, sent messages and even stopped by my house or at the hospital.

I'm doing pretty well. I can stand on my own and do what slightly resembles walking. It's frustrating to have to work so hard to get my legs and feet to move, but like I said previously, I have a group of new friends that would trade places with me in a second just for the chance to stand up again. It's all about relearning how to walk and regaining proper proprioception. I can take steps, I'm just slow at doing it. It looks like I will have some permanent disability, but nothing that will prevent me from living life to the fullest. (Mostly feeling, sensation, temperature regulation and balance) It's all about nerve regeneration and retraining my mind, spinal cord and muscles to "remember" how to make certain movements. I get to work on some incredible equipment and high tech research at Craig Hospital. I am beyond lucky for the opportunity to walk and stand. It's a very slow process and each step is a new success. @AimCOtaco and his family stayed with us a few days ago and we went out for dinner. It was my first outing without a wheelchair or crutches and it was great to feel 'normal' again. My injury is at the T7/8 and T11/12 levels, so my arms and hands have full range of motion and strength.

I was hoping to have enough movement in my legs and feet to start driving again, but I couldn't pass the reaction test (gas to full brake in under 0.5 seconds). The closest I came was .72, but just a few weeks ago it would have taken me 2-3 seconds. A few weeks before that I was in a wheelchair with no movement or feeling below my waist....... so I'm getting better by the minute now.

That's the quick update. I'm doing great, feeling pretty good, thrilled to be standing again, even more thrilled to be rid of my wheelchair, thankful to be able to get around our house without forearm crutches or assistance and looking forward to each PT session or training.

Stan, I can't imagine what you are going through: Mentally or physically. However, as slow as it may seem to you, its great to hear you are making progress! Per @hifu, et al: Keep the faith!

@paflytyer : You sir, have a great attitude! I know that this comes and goes, but I do have to say that I commend your very positive presence here on the MUD! Keep up the great work!

Jonathan

Don't know how I missed this thread!
So sorry to see you having to go through this! I knew you had surgery but had no idea it was this major. You have clearly made quite an impact on this community as well as me and my family, we are all wishing you a speedy recovery and can't wait to get on the trails with you again at HIH6. Get well soon, you and your family are in our thoughts and prayers.

Chris, let me know if you need any help lifting Stan into the tent but your on your own with the wag bags:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom