Padding and insulation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Would just some average reflective backed padding work good under my hood to help with heat and noise. also all the 60's have this nice thick pad that go up the firewall on the inside to cut down on noise. that to my is the biggest downfall of 40's its so loud....any ideas of a think pad that could do the same thing in a 40 as it does in a 60. mainly where can i get a pad or mat like this....if anyone has done some serious sound deadening to 40's pictures would be great.

I thought dynamat was stictly for audio/speaker use. anyways i would like something not back with adhesive. it seems like dynamat would be masty to remove.

A buddy of mine lined his jeep with this stuff and swears by it, however it is asphalt based. Dont know anything else to offer you, if you find something let me know.

asphalt? or do you mean asbestos?

I went to the pick and pull and got some out of the engine covers of some mid 80's vans. Its about 1/2" thick and has heavy foil-like stuff on one side. I put it inside the firewall and under the trans. hump. It did a great job of keeping the heat down (350), not sure about the sound - no top or doors right now. Cost $5.

Reflectix is a foil covered, bubble wrap kind of insulation that many people use in cars to quiet them down. It's sold at most hardware stores and is about a $1/sq ft. I am just lining my 40's doors with it now.

The stuff I used in mine was 1/2" thick closed cell foam. It's the cheap blue foam sold as camping mats for under your sleeping bag. A roll of it will easily cover the interior side of your firewall, and it helps to insulate the tranny hump with it too. I sprayed mine over with black paint so it wouldn't be so visible, but you need to try that the paint doesn't 'attack' the foam due to its solvents. I think the truck is definitly quieter now. The loadest thing in the truck now is the buzz from the t-case shifter :p.

IDAVE:

I meant asphalt, the secondskin product is made from a rubberized asphalt base with craft paper that is peeled off to allow you to stick it to your surface. The DynaMat is made from rubber polymers and backed with an adhesive, some of their poducts have foam and foil attached as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom