Packable rain gear (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Recommendations on good quality and highly packable rain gear...

Lookin for something that is rain and wind proof that wont take up a lot space and easy to get repacked to toss in my daypack...

Go to your local mil surplus store and get a milspec poncho. I keep one in a Blackhawk Industries M60 pouch, it fits under the drivers seat in my 40

Go to your local mil surplus store and get a milspec poncho. I keep one in a Blackhawk Industries M60 pouch, it fits under the drivers seat in my 40

I should have been more specific.. I need something breathable too..

All though I will check those ponchos for the truck...

Check out the Marmot Precip gear. Lightweight, breathable, durable and packable. A bit on the $$$ side but the quality is exceptional.

x3 on the Marmot Precip

x4 on the Marmot Precip bought it on a whim but really love it. very lightweight and packable.

I use frogtogs fishing. They are light weight. Only drawback I see is they are a little loose. Theyare good in the rain though

Look up Red Ledge gear. Small company in Montana, good durable packable rain gear . My rain jacket is nine years old and still waterproof. I wear it all the time, fishing all spring and summer, spring snowboarding. Best part, only 40 bones. Good luck,

Jason

Sierra Designs has some really nice packable tops and bottoms. Easy on the wallet also. Frogtoggs are very waterproof but tear easily. I have seen some that are fixed with patches though.

It all depends on the tempuratures you expect.....for warmer wet weather i would personally go with GoreTex Paclite(the lightest of the Gore materials). For slightly cooler climates--i would go with Goretex XCR.

Both can be found in pants and jackets with various features. I would definitely recommend something with an attached hood. Arcteryx and Outdoor Research make some of the nicest Paclite stuff hands down....but you will pay mucho deneros for it.

For serious waterproof protection--definitely consider Gore Tex socks made by ROCKY. The only ones that work....and stay away from the Seal Skins which go bad in about a day. Cold wet feet can be the worst no matter how dry your upper body is.

Breathability is also a joke with all products in full on hard rain. If you are hiking , biking and producing a fair amount of heat--no amount of breathable material will be able to offload moisture in heavy rain and you end up getting soaked from the inside out-with all your moisture drenching you.

The key items to consider would be underarm vents-which zip open and allow you to vent well without getting wet in jackets. Some pants have this feature with legs that fully zip--but keeping dry is a bit tougher with the pants open for venting.

As far as pacability--- the Arcteryx Paclite stuff is around 13oz and can roll up into a sandwich bag. Pants are similar weigth and about as highperf as there is out there. Outdoor research makes great stuff and im sure you can find some cheaper brands that have very good Paclite or XCR materials.

Gore-Tex XCR is the shizznit.

Gander Mountain has some guide series packable rain gear that's really nice. I bought mine in August for 1/3 of full retail. They have tall sizes too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom