P2118 -- Any experience with this code and how common are ECM failures? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So right after Thanksgiving, my 05 LC100 with 156K throws me a new code and goes into limp mode -- P2118. I checked the ETCS fuse and it was intact, so I towed it to my experienced cruiser mechanic. Wiring checked out, but motor on throttle body was giving bad readings so we decided to replace the throttle body (since the motor/TPS/etc. were all a single piece on an '05.

After installing a new OEM throttle body, P2118 returns. The ECM is starting to look guilty, but its puzzling because its not throwing any other codes (though within the past month it did throw a C1201 code along with a cat code, but the C1201 has not returned). Mechanic is going to give the wiring closer scrutiny.

Anyone have any experience with P2118? It's not well documented here in the 100 series forum, with the exception of this thread, in which a thorough dealer found a bad wire after an 8.5 hour journey behind the dash pad.

Anyone have any experience with one of the "repair and return" ECM outfits?

Thanks in advance,

Prankster

Bump

In the year and a half of playing with Land Cruiser and LX ecus I have had one that was bad. This is out of over 100. It was just a popped capacitor.

I only keep ecus from 1998-2002 otherwise I could send you a working one to try.

UPDATE -- G7 had amazingly fast service. I put my ECM in the mail on the Friday before Christmas and received it back the day after Christmas. They reported finding a hardware issue and repairing it.

Unfortunately, that was not a complete fix. The Cruiser stayed in limp mode after reinstalling the ECM, but no code this time. We could induce it to throw the code by pulling the wiring from the throttle body, but even after code clears, limp mode persists.... Once we get to the bottom of this, I'll update with a report on whether G7 took care of the ECM or created other problems.

UPDATE -- G7 had amazingly fast service. I put my ECM in the mail on the Friday before Christmas and received it back the day after Christmas. They reported finding a hardware issue and repairing it.

Unfortunately, that was not a complete fix. The Cruiser stayed in limp mode after reinstalling the ECM, but no code this time. We could induce it to throw the code by pulling the wiring from the throttle body, but even after code clears, limp mode persists.... Once we get to the bottom of this, I'll update with a report on whether G7 took care of the ECM or created other problems.

Did they not detail exactly what was found? I would expect a detail of the component replaced or repaired.

Did they not detail exactly what was found? I would expect a detail of the component replaced or repaired.

Sadly, it was a rather short report. I sent them an email today seeking more details.

Last edited:

what is G7? I'm wondering because I had to replace the ECM in my LX last summer

what is G7? I'm wondering because I had to replace the ECM in my LX last summer

G7 is an outfit in NY that will repair and return your ECM to you if you mail it to them and pay $225. If they don't find a problem, you are only out postage. I thought I had referenced them in this thread, but I was thinking of this post in a different thread.

G7 is an outfit in NY that will repair and return your ECM to you if you mail it to them and pay $225. If they don't find a problem, you are only out postage. I thought I had referenced them in this thread, but I was thinking of this post in a different thread.
Thanks. Good info to know for future searchers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom