P0773, TCC solenoid blowing 20 amp fuse (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.olympiafj60.net
I just picked up a '95 FZJ80. It is setting a P0773, Lock-up/SL solenoid circuit. I checked out the solenoid and it has proper resistance (11-15 ohms), so it said to replace the ECM. I thought maybe the driver on the ECM was maybe going bad and couldn't power the solenoid, so I wired a relay in place, the signal from the ECM triggering the solenoid and 12v tapped from the fuse block, going to the solenoid. I'm glad I fused it, as it has blown a 15 amp and a 20 amp fuse. The relay clicks when the solenoid should be engaged so the ECM is doing it's job.

I don't know why the solenoid would draw this much power. I have a wire back-probed into the trans harness so I can check voltage and I decided to check the resistance again. With the headlights on it is 30 ohms, driving lights, 20 ohms and door open, dome light on 17 ohms. If I close the door and have no extra loads, I get the appropriate 15 ohms. Why would the resistance of a solenoid in the transmission change with the lights? Maybe I need an extra ground to the transmission?

A side note, I thought of some interesting uses for the relay controlled TCC solenoid, as long as you don't forget to turn it off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom