P0430 code on and off for years, what's the most reliable fix (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know this is no new subject and in fact has been discussed countless times. But I'm hoping to get some advice on a reliable fix without having to spend nearly a grand for new factory CAT.
My P0430 Bank 2 code first appeared about 8 years ago, so I replaced it with either a Magnaflow or Flowmaster (I forgot already) system, it went away for almost a year then came back, then O2 sensors were replaced (forgot which ones), that was good for about another year. Then the same code started coming up about +/-5 years ago and has been ever since. Car idles fine, no noticeable performance issues or any other sounds or anything at all other then the three lights (engine, trac, and VSC) that typically come up.
I recall I've read somewhere there could be a fix that deals with the O2 sensors. Do I really need to get another aftermarket CAT? Do I replace all four O2 sensors? I also tried additives as well.
Any advice would be appreciated. I've been using OBD II to erase the code until I'm so tired of this and just let it go out on its own but that's random, could be weeks or months, you never know.

I fixed this code on a friend's GX470 (same 2UZ motor with slight changes to cat/manifold placement). We were able to watch values in techstream in one of the cat tests which makes it clear that the sensors are fine (they often are) and that the problem is the cat.

I'm not sure what the price differences are between OEM and aftermarket, but if you've already had an aftermarket cat die, you might want to pony up for the OEM cats. The price of those is pretty closely tied to the quantity of the precious metals that actually make the thing work. Cheap cat = short life (as a generalization). Aftermarket cats seem to often be the minimum effectiveness to pass emissions (or on board tests like this engine code) for a brief period of time, but not nearly as long as OEM stuff (which seems to be good for 10-20 years or longer).

The techstream data was neat. I'd go out of my way to get that setup and try it out.

Oem is about $1150 for the cat alone, that's a chunk of change.

Oem is about $1150 for the cat alone, that's a chunk of change.
o_O Wow I was not expecting that. Where’d you see that price? Have you tried any overseas sources like Partsourq or Impex?

o_O Wow I was not expecting that. Where’d you see that price? Have you tried any overseas sources like Partsourq or Impex?
I thought it sounded high, but that's what I'm seeing as well. All my normal sources are $1200+ for just one of the 06LX cats. Unavailable through Partsouq - presumably because their market has very little or zero emissions regulation.

The urd o2 sensor calibrator is the real deal. Its well made, it works. Should last forever and it doesn't care what the actual real voltage is on the return trip to the ecu from the rear sensors. I'd use it again on any toyota. I've been using mine for 10k miles or so. Probably more.

I think it's 130 dollars.

I run Torque on an old Android phone mounted next to my nav screen to get ODB2 Speed, GPS Speed, elevation, bearing, trans temp and coolant temp. One of the features Torque has is it will periodically check for codes and, if you want, automatically reset them. I get P0420 and P0430 because my cats are old. But it doesn't actually change how the truck runs, it's just a nag. So I let Torque reset them on it's own and I never have to be annoyed by the CEL/VSC Off/ATRAC Off lights. Been running it this way for about 3 years now.

I run Torque on an old Android phone mounted next to my nav screen to get ODB2 Speed, GPS Speed, elevation, bearing, trans temp and coolant temp. One of the features Torque has is it will periodically check for codes and, if you want, automatically reset them. I get P0420 and P0430 because my cats are old. But it doesn't actually change how the truck runs, it's just a nag. So I let Torque reset them on it's own and I never have to be annoyed by the CEL/VSC Off/ATRAC Off lights. Been running it this way for about 3 years now.
Used torque for years. Never knew of this feature. How do you activate the auto reset function??

let your CEL bulb burn out like I did, or buy an oem cat, a cheap one probably wont last very long unfortunately.

Used torque for years. Never knew of this feature. How do you activate the auto reset function??
It could be a paid version feature, but it's in the Alerts/Alarms section of settings
20210206_142638.jpg

let your CEL bulb burn out like I did, or buy an oem cat, a cheap one probably wont last very long unfortunately.
For most of us in an emissions area that just means you're going to fail for two things instead of one, haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom