P0430 code - may not be the Cat issue.. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I had this code for few years now, when it first appeared, I had O2 sensors replaced (I don't remember which ones nor how many) many years ago, that kept the code off for a while, then maybe 2-3 years ago it started appearing again, but I was able to have it cleared and it would stay off few month at a time until recently, it would come back on the same day after I clear it.
Took it to dealership, couple of mechanics, they all went straight to suggesting replacing the CAT, which we know costs thousands. Car drives fine, no weird sounds, loss of power or any misfire that I can feel, pretty smooth overall. So I have been looking for aftermarket CAT and finally called Walker and had a lengthy conversation with their technician, he really helped educating on the code and suggested that a P0430 may not be a Cat issue as many thinks. I was told issues related more to engine performance such as misfires (some so little where you can't feel, and the need to do a 5 gas analyzer, check fuel trim, check the Lamda numbers on the O2 sensor cross counts before getting to the last resort of Cat replacement. Unfortunately it is so hard to find a shop that would do all that and it's easy for them to just recommending cat replacement only for the light to come on again who knows when. Anyways, if there's anything else I'm missing, please comment, I just want to arm myself with the best knowledge before finding a shop willing to get to the root cause, of course paying for their time to run the proper diagnostics.

Definitely interested is hearing what you find out. Subscribed...

These four items: 1. engine performance such as misfires (some so little where you can't feel. 2. Do a 5 gas analyzer. 3. check fuel trim. 4. Check the Lamda numbers on the O2 sensor cross counts

I had the same code. I kept on resetting it for a while but it came back after every 1000 miles or so. I decided to replace the CAT. Turns out that was a good decision. I went to sell it at a local yard and when they cut it in half to check the inside one side was completely chewed up and blocking the flow. I went with a walker from rock auto. 30k miles without a code so far.

That's the info I got from Walker, the tech staff seemed to be very knowledgeable and not just trying to sell you their Cat, he told me to go through those tests first to first and narrow the issue down to Cat in the end, IF that's the problem. So if I do end up needing a Cat, I will get a Walker.

That's the info I got from Walker, the tech staff seemed to be very knowledgeable and not just trying to sell you their Cat, he told me to go through those tests first to first and narrow the issue down to Cat in the end, IF that's the problem. So if I do end up needing a Cat, I will get a Walker.
Yes thats a good way to go before replacing parts. I was just sharing the source of the problem when I had this code.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom