P0420 code, yet smog passes with flying colors??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I got this code after driving home 400 miles. I checked it and go P0420, i cleared the code and it poped back up a couple days later. It was time to do a smog check, so i cleared the code and took it to the station hoping it will pass good, and it actually passed with amazing results, i attached a picture bellow... however, that code means cats, or co2 sensor, misfire? but smog shows everything perfect, they also check timing there as well, here in Sacramento country, smog regulations are the worst, so you would think it will show any little bug.

Im thinking about running toyota EFI cleaner through the tank, and seafoam with a new oil change, it might not do any good, but if the engine light comes back up again what else should i do, or how can i find out whats exactly that it needs?

DSC07592.jpg

Not to rain on your parade of I-just-got-a-new-truck-and-have-bunch-of-questions-about-it, but there is a search function for a reason. The P0420 code has been covered a number of times in the past (as have a number of your other questions) and I'm sure a quick search of the 80's section for "420", "P0420" or the like would return a number of posts about the same problem. Search first and if you still can't find anything, find any of Beowulf's numerous posts about HOW to effectively search this forum and try again. If that still doesn't work, post up and folks will be glad to help!

:cheers:

Not to rain on your parade of I-just-got-a-new-truck-and-have-bunch-of-questions-about-it, but there is a search function for a reason. The P0420 code has been covered a number of times in the past (as have a number of your other questions) and I'm sure a quick search of the 80's section for "420", "P0420" or the like would return a number of posts about the same problem. Search first and if you still can't find anything, find any of Beowulf's numerous posts about HOW to effectively search this forum and try again. If that still doesn't work, post up and folks will be glad to help!

:cheers:

X2 Getting a little old. We can't do the work for you, only help. Many many many people have many many many threads on every issue you have posted up. WE can't just give you the do this answer and it will fix your issue. You will actaully have to search, wrench and try. After you have tried and run into a problem post up for more ideas on the solution. If you dont want to try to wrench on your truck, then take it to the stealership and they will solve your problem. :flipoff2::beer::cheers:

if it passes smog with flying colors, wouldnt that eliminate the cats, Co2 sensor? or misfiring? i talked to the smog guy and he seems to agree, many threads on the 420 say its cats or Co2s, or Co2 dont play a roll at how well it passes smog?

I'll give you $5000 for it.:meh:

if the test had been on a dyno(cant because of the all wheel drive) they would have tested for NOx, and i would bet that that number would be high and not pass.

NOx can only be tested under load.

in VA the all wheell drive vehicles get a two speed idle test(looks the same on your pic).

if the o2 isnt working correctly and the vehicle is running lean then the Numbers will be low. the CO will usually be up a bit and HC really low(like what you show)

NOx increases alot in lean conditions.

long story short........it is much easier to pass with an all wheel drive vehicle than a 2 wheel drive vehicle.

Does CA do OBD2 testing for emissions?? anyone with a 96 and newer would know. (i know that 95 was OBD2, but most of the guidelines for testing go with 96 as the first year of OBD2)

Re: if the test had been on a dyno(cant because of the all wheel drive) they would have tested for NOx, and i would bet that that number would be high and not pass. NOx can only be tested under load.

This explains why I can also pass with flying colors despite the P0420 code.

I have a 96 and they can only do the idle test since it's an all-wheel drive.

if it passes smog with flying colors, wouldnt that eliminate the cats, Co2 sensor? or misfiring? i talked to the smog guy and he seems to agree, many threads on the 420 say its cats or Co2s, or Co2 dont play a roll at how well it passes smog?

Nick,
Over the past few weeks you have flooded the forum with dozens of new threads on issues with your new truck. Now you have it listed for sale on CL. You continue to use the term "CO2" when you have repeatedly been told the sensors are "O2" sensors. You are obviously not trying to search for answers to your questions before you post yet another new thread.

Personally, I feel you are abusing the members of this forum and you are definitely treading on Cruiser Karma thin ice since you are trying to sell the truck "to some rich dude" by raping them on the price, and openly laughing about it.

Please grow up soon..... dude.

(Did I spell that right? Should I have used "dood"? This kiddie talk is new to ole Beo.)

-B-

Nick,
Over the past few weeks you have flooded the forum with dozens of new threads on issues with your new truck. Now you have it listed for sale on CL. You continue to use the term "CO2" when you have repeatedly been told the sensors are "O2" sensors. You are obviously not trying to search for answers to your questions before you post yet another new thread.

Personally, I feel you are abusing the members of this forum and you are definitely treading on Cruiser Karma thin ice since you are trying to sell the truck "to some rich dude" by raping them on the price, and openly laughing about it.

(Did I spell that right? Should I have used "dood"? This kiddie talk is new to ole Beo.)

-B-

Nice! :cheers:

There is a really small bolt by the PHH, if you stick your head down there with a flash light or jack up the truck remove the tire and stick your head up there.... it should be the one labeled:

karma.

Should fix your P0402.

seems like a good thread to hijack........so in CA they don't do obd2 emissions testing?

they still run them on a dyno or stick the sniffer in the pipe? odd........

more info would be good, just curious!

Nicks truck is a 95... OBD2 tests only apply to 96+ vehicles.

Nick,

-B-

Good enough. :lol:

But (search all the other thread on 95 being ODBII), 95 are OBDII.

Not all of them. They have the OBD plug, but most are only OBD1.5 or something along those lines. I've seen very few 95s that are full OBDII

my experience with the 95's is that i have just as many bi-directional controls as a 96 or newer. (using Snap-On MT2500 scanner)

i am not trying to argue, just stating my experience

Post #7 said they sniffer tested his 96, which is why my question was asked...

i don't really care either way, i was just curious.

my truck is OBD2, even tho its a 95. Most LC sites state that OBD2 is 96+ im not sure how many 95 cruisers are OBD2 but seems like not many at all?

as for dyno, they do not dyno the cruisers since they are AWD they just pipe it and rev it to 2 different RPMs, and they check timing and few other things,

Nick,

-B-

but...but...but...how else is a fella supposed to jack up his post count?

seems like a good thread to hijack........so in CA they don't do obd2 emissions testing?

they still run them on a dyno or stick the sniffer in the pipe? odd........

more info would be good, just curious!

But (search all the other thread on 95 being ODBII), 95 are OBDII.

Not all of them. They have the OBD plug, but most are only OBD1.5 or something along those lines. I've seen very few 95s that are full OBDII

my experience with the 95's is that i have just as many bi-directional controls as a 96 or newer. (using Snap-On MT2500 scanner)

i am not trying to argue, just stating my experience

Post #7 said they sniffer tested his 96, which is why my question was asked...

i don't really care either way, i was just curious.

my truck is OBD2, even tho its a 95. Most LC sites state that OBD2 is 96+ im not sure how many 95 cruisers are OBD2 but seems like not many at all?

as for dyno, they do not dyno the cruisers since they are AWD they just pipe it and rev it to 2 different RPMs, and they check timing and few other things,

Regardless of Nickie, just to clarify and hopefully help the rest of you guys: many, but not all, 1995s are OBDII compliant. Check the VECI label under the hood if you're in doubt. Mine is as well and its build date is 4/94.

Also--re: OBD versus Tailpipe tests: OBDII was only mandatory per EPA on 1996 and later. That why NO emissions inspection program performs an OBDII inspection on a 1995 vehicle, regardless of whether it was OBDII compliant or not.

Further: in almost every jurisdiction, 95 and older 80 series Land Cruisers will get a Two Speed Idle test instead of a Dyno test because they are full-time non-disengageable 4WD and pretty much every jurisdiction only has 2-wheel dynos for testing. Very few, if any, have 4-wheel dynos.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom