p0420 and now a broken exhaust and a p0170 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I got a p0420 last week while cruise control on at about 60 mph for 20 miles or so. Looked it up on here. reset it. didn't get it again. Today I was on a trail coming back down the mountain. Hear what sounded like pop corn popping from cat converter area. Then some nice bumps and rig sounds like a race car. Get out to check it and just at the y in exhaust is broken in two. The two pipes have broken off from the one pipe that leads to cat converters. While driving back i got a p0170 code. did a search and dont see anyone talking about a broken exhaust. What do yall think? Obviously I need to get the exhaust welded back together. :hillbilly:

Seeing as how the shortened exhaust is not opening onto anything is there any harm in driving it like this? I drive all over for work in my rig and have many appointments over 70 miles from home tomorrow.

its broken just under where the two pipes form one. what damage? hundreds of miles on it or very little? I'll post pics of the exhaust

If it's broken before the first o2 sensor I personally wouldn't drive it much unless absolutely necessary until it's fixed

where are the o2 sensors?

Reset p0170 code. had to drive about 200 miles today for work. here's a pic of the exhaust break.

got a new cel p0125. Reset it and it kept coming on p0125

I'm thinking of getting some flex pipe and clasping it on there. Anyone had a break like this? could this be caused by mud in my cat converters and it backing up the exhaust coming down from manifold?
img112.jpg

That's a common spot for them to break. I would highly recommend getting that replaced ASAP before putting any more miles on the truck if you can.

I'm searching and having little results. Anyone have experience replacing full exhaust from manifold headers back?

I'm searching and having little results. Anyone have experience replacing full exhaust from manifold headers back?

What experience are you looking for? Are you replacing with new OEM, used, or aftermarket?

Go to a muffler shop and see if they can fab up a new Y pipe or connect the broken bits with flex pipe.

My main concern would be whether exhaust fumes are entering the cabin.

Got a shop now putting a new pipe in to replace the break for $200-240. He said it was not going to go all the way up to manifold. I'm curious how much yall with experience would say a new exhaust from manifold to cats (first cat?!) would be or even all the way back to muffler if necessary. Saw a guy post in one thread I came across something about a new exhaust system in for $500.

I'm curious of the amount yall would say for new header manifold pipes, essentially new exhaust.

Re OEM, aftermarket... I'm curious what yall would say the ballpark is for either

Fixed

So the clean steel you see in pic was done at an exhaust shop in Coeur D'Alene, Id. $240 out the door. I've owned the rig since January and it is quieter now than its been since I've owned it.

The two hangers that hold up the exhaust, one back by the muffler and the other up by the cats were completely shredded--using the exhaust mechanics terms.

Just an idea, but maybe we should put checking the hangers on exhaust and putting new ones on if shredded on baselining list for newbies.

There's a chance the exhaust wouldnt have cracked and later broken if I had checked for those hangers. FWIW, the vibration I sometimes felt while stopped at stoplights is no longer there. Hence, if any of you have that vibration, or your rigs real noisey, checking for those hangers might save you time, money, and a surprise increase in NOISE if you check'em!:cheers:
exhaust fix (2).jpg
exhaust fix.jpg

Those are some sloppy welds. Looks like something I would have done. :hillbilly:

But the good news is that it worked, congrats! :cheers:

Thanks for your unfiltered insight Ebag! The realness of your posts is what I always appreciate! You think sloppy welds will hold up less/be weaker.. or just ugly?

Likely the welds will outlast the rest of the OEM pipe...which looks to me to be on the verge rotting through in quite a number of places. Although it is sealed for now, I personally would be looking for a new (or used) Y-Pipe, so that you don't have this happen again somewhere far from home or on the trail.

:cheers:

Steve

P.S. Spent two years in the Cd'A area back in the late 70's...excellent territory for wheeling and the outdoors.

those exhaust manifolds are spendy brand new, since they're connected to the leading cat. i think 1200 for the 2 new from toyota. mine had a small crack that was right at the junction where the 2 downpipes join into one. PO had it welded, but then i had to replace the cats since there was only 1 small one. i replaced with used OEM, & had the 2 cats cut & turn to lay flat. looks like the muffler shop did a good job in sleeving, aside from the welds. it will hold up until the rest of the manifold deteriorates. at that time, id look into full manifold back replacement.

Quick side question...how much for a cut and turn of the cats to get them out of the way??

The brown on the pipes is mostly caked mud. Exhaust mechanic said the pipes were strong and would probably last. sound like he's full of s*** or could that be the case if that red/brown is just caked mud?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom