P0402 and VSV fixed (not the regular intake blockage) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

izzyandsue

Izzy
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.tactegra.com
Having a p0402 for a few years that was getting progressively worse, I decided to dive and and do a few things. Checked EGR and modulator, modulator was not consistent so replaced that. Cleaned out in between the two hoses from EGR to intake, intake to VSV and that is carbon free, plenty of other posts on that fix. All other hoses got replaced as they were cracked and orginal. But the P0402 persisted and I found the culprit in the TB. But first, a few things to check.

1578692938672.png

When the VSV gets 12V, the valve inside turns and no air can pass it. So I used this link to check the VSV operation, worked perfectly and no need to remove the throttle body to check. I used a vacuum pump to test for flow. Disconnect the hose from EGR to VSV (intake) and test with no power on the VSV. There should be no vacuum. I had some vacuum!

Connect the the VSV to 12V on the battery with and the vacuum is perfect as it should, VSV is actuated. A couple of alligator clips do the trick, vacuum pump again to check flow. Disconnected from battery and vacuum would hold on, but slowly go to zero.
1578693493237.png

On the diagram above the vacuum line shows going from VSV to a T intersection, then to the TB. This TB line is easy to get at with needle nose pliers on the TB under/forward section. Disconnect this line and do the vacuum test again. This time, there was zero vacuum with no power to VSV, and perfect vacuum with power applied. So the problem is not the VSV or lines, its in the TB itself.

First, used carb TB cleaner with long hose to spray in there, see if we can break up the buildup.
1578693803357.png

Afterwards test the vacuum again to see if blockage is removed. If not, then the TB needs to come off, but leave the throttle and cruise cable connected, plenty of room to maneuver when you disconnect all hoses and electrical plugs.

1578693938561.png

Follow the opening from the intake to the TB where the hose connects, and on the other side there should be a hole. The hole is where this yellowish piece of crud is. Clean that off with a small wire and more carb cleaner.
This is the same hole, now cleaned up.
1578694044852.png

Now put it all back together and go for a test drive. I will need to go through a few driving cycles to ensure the P0402 is gone, but in my case it would come on immediately at startup, and so far it is clear.

Last edited:
This is the crap that I removed from the TB while cleaning that port

1578694207183.png

Then, I broke this little @((%*@#*$^)(#^&)((@# and had to order a new one.
1578694282043.png

But did you know that a 5/8" coolant hose is a nice snug fit over the plastic housing on that filter? Now you know. A quick trip to the hardware store and for $7 you too can build this monster.

1578694398924.png

And survive until the new part shows up. Why do they always break on weekends and we have to wait extra days to get it?

1578694416790.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom