P0401 solution (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Gumby

Supamod
s-Moderator
Threads
I spent the day at a seminar for auto shop teachers today. One of the sessions was on monitor actuation for all manufacturers. Of course, all I was interested in was the Toyota content, specifically the EGR monitor on the LCs.

This is what it takes for the PCM to look at the EGR info, also known as the ERG monitor Drive Trace for all models 96-2002

Pre-Conditioning Requirements
MIL must be off
Altitude is below 7801 feet (2400 m)
IAT (Intake Air Temp) must be above 13*F (-10*C)
1996-2000 LC/LX 450 Engine Coolant Temp must be below 104*F (40* c)

Driving Procedure
Drive vehicle at a steady speed between 43 and 56 mph for three to five minutes
Do not exceed 30% throttle opening
maintain smooth throttle inputs
Stop the vehicle and idle the engine for 3-5 minutes
Rinse and repeat

The monitor will store a pending code the first time it fails. The second time it will light the MIL

So all you have to do to never have a P0401 is to never drive between 43 and 56 longer than 3 minutes below 30% throttle opening. No problem.

All hail Gumby, solver of the impossible.

Or move to Santa Fe, NM. I believe they're at 8,000'+
-B-

[quote author=Beowulf link=board=2;threadid=8737;start=msg75280#msg75280 date=1071294788]
Or move to Santa Fe, NM. I believe they're at 8,000'+
-B-

[/quote]
I like that idea beter. It was -8f out yesterday morning :doh:
Do they grow creanberries down there?

91 never had this problem....

3FE POWA!

Kurt,
I just checked their web site and it says they are at 7,000' so that could be a problem.

They call themselves "The City Different" so they probably grow lots of weird things. I've never heard of creanberries but if they're grown anywhere in the state of New Mexico then they probably grow them in Santa Fe. You and Shirley McClain should get along real well. :D

-B-

Even without cranberries, I will still move to NM as I am "weird and different" and would fit right in.

[quote author=DanKunz link=board=2;threadid=8737;start=msg75358#msg75358 date=1071330616]
91 never had this problem....[/quote]

not to mention your federalized 93 with no temp sensor to trigger a code! (Can't believe I'm teaming up witht he 3fE's :cheers:)

All joking aside, a number of historic posts suggest no problem with running with the 401/71 code problem. Scamper's recent post about EGT has me wondering whether the higher EGT might fry your cats.

No fried cat jokes please.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom