P0340 Help! (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok brain trust, I need some help here. I've searched but can not find much info on the P0340 code in any of the 2UZ-VVTi platforms. Bought a 06' cruiser with a blown engine back in November. We've been up and running for about two weeks now with 0 issues, runs amazing, very strong throughout the RMP range and no stumbles/smells/squeaks. I've put about 200 miles on the LC in the past week and a half and have a CEL with the accompanying VSC and Trac lights. Over the weekend i decided to take a dive into what was going on and found a P0340 Bank 1 code. "This P0340 code indicates that a problem was detected in the camshaft position sensor circuit. Since it says circuit, that means the problem could lie in any part of the circuit - the sensor itself, the wiring, or the PCM. Don't just replace the CPS (camshaft position sensor) and think that will definitely fix it." Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated.

**I have done the following***

Checked/Rechecked and Checked again all of the connectors.
Pulled the TB cover and inspected the wires at the sensor
Replaced with the CPS with the one from the original engine (possible both are bad)?
Pulled the ECU and blew out the connectors.
Cleared stored and Pending codes.
All wiring is routed correctly behind the fan bracket so there are no areas for the wire to rub or get caught
Codes will show pending for maybe 2-3 trips then they will populate as stored.

Things done with the replacement engine out:

Rebuilt Starter
Intake Manifold Gaskets
Plugs
Rebuilt alternator
TB/WP Tensioner, idlers
Radiator w/hoses
Oil pan, windage tray and p/u were transferred over to the new engine.
Oil cooler was transferred over
MAF sensor has been cleaned
Vacuum hoses were replaced as needed.

Again, it runs amazing with way more power/smoother etc. compared to my 01'

Thanks @JunkCrzr89 , i was also looking at the P0340 specific page which is DI-197.

So a few things to note:

I forgot to add that i swapped over the VVTi sensor from the old engine and there was no change.

A P0341 would tell me if i am off a tooth and timing was off.

Sound like i need to break out the meter as Im leaning towards possibly having a wiring issue somewhere?

Have you physically checked that the cams and crank are properly in phase? I fought something similar on my LS400 (1UZ-VVTi) after it consistently threw a few odd cam position codes. I kept expecting a particular cam code to pop. It never did. But I'll be damned if the crank wasn't one tooth off. Adjusted the belt and it's been code-less for 5k miles.

@zjohnsonusa I did. I had the motor on a stand when i did the TB and spent a good bit of time being paranoid about making sure that everything was lined up. Possible that the TB jumped a tooth upon start up? Did your code pop up immediately upon start up? It is strange though that the CEL will be off then randomly pop back up while driving, you'd think if the phasing wasn't correct it would show immediately upon startup.

It took two drive cycles to throw the light in this example. Clear it, drive it, key off then drive again and bam. Did that for about a week.

I bought the car knowing it needed work, scanner threw some cam position codes that were really vague. Chased it until I said screw it and pulled the belt covers. Then it was glaringly obvious.

Did you roll the engine over a few times before you buttoned the front end up? These things have a nasty habit of looking right until the tensioner is given the opportunity to bring things to equilibrium.

It took two drive cycles to throw the light in this example. Clear it, drive it, key off then drive again and bam. Did that for about a week.

I bought the car knowing it needed work, scanner threw some cam position codes that were really vague. Chased it until I said screw it and pulled the belt covers. Then it was glaringly obvious.

Did you roll the engine over a few times before you buttoned the front end up? These things have a nasty habit of looking right until the tensioner is given the opportunity to bring things to equilibrium.
That was some of my concern. I did do about 4 revolutions and I was show 0 degrees and TDC at each full revolution. But I'll have to pull the cam covers and double check. Hoping it is something silly as i don't want to pull the front of the motor apart.

So......P0340 is not longer showing. However P0430 and P2445 is showing. P2445 has not showed up as a stored code yet but the P0430 does. Again, everything is running completely fine, figure i'll start with O2's on at bank 1. Unless someone has a better idea. Also, an SAIS bypass is in order.

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I'm curious if you ever had your p0340 code come back and if so what the solution was. I'm having this code come up intermittently on our 06 GX470.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom