P0158 Code even after sensor replacement. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
06 LX470. CEL, VSC Trac & VSC off come on. P0158 code on my scanner. Bank 2, Sensor 2. (Passenger side aft sensor) I replaced the o2 sensor with a new Denso, cleared code and drove. Lights came back on in about 30 miles. The car also has a different smell at the exhaust then a normal car. Any ideas? Thanks

How many miles? Sounds like you might need a new charcoal canister replacement.

I'd look for a fuel leak and check pressure, probably replace the front o2 sensor also, same side, verify coolant temp is right.
Then 4 new injectors, regulator if it was bad and watch voltage on said rear sensor.

I'm having similar issue but how come my code is P0156? Bank 2 sensor 2, that's passenger side downstream right? No odd smell from exhaust.

O2 related codes flag for many reasons other than O2 failure, due to their emissions related sensitivity. Drive it a while longer and see if other codes come through. I've seen otherwise normal trucks pop O2 codes and the fix be plugs and coil packs, injectors, regulators, intake leaks...you get the idea. The alternative is that you may actually have a failing converter. It'll be either an expensive case of swapnostics or a frustrating light until other codes pop up. Good luck.

I just replaced my bank 2 cat, did tune up, clean MAF, all new fluid, New spark plugs, coils, three times consecutively the same O2 code, each between about 15-20 miles. No other codes so far.

Look at all 4 sensors and what they’re reading vs each other upstream vs downstream. I had to replace both Upstream and downstream to get rid of same code on a bank, iirc the computer compares what it sees on the upstream to what should be on the downstream per air fuel ratios? First I replaced the downstream and it came back on a 50 mile drive. Scoped the cat and wasn’t clogged. Replace upstream 20k miles later hasn’t shown back up.

Edit: if your exhaust stinks your cat may be going bad, unburnt fuel Is normally the cause but not sure how common it is on a 2UZ

Last edited:
Flip the two sides with each other to see if code switches sides. That’s the most helpful tip I got.

Sounds I may need to replace up and downstream O2's on Bank 2. CAT was plugged and was replaced yesterday. No foul exhaust smell.

Yes. It ended up being the upstream a/f sensor. Aka o2 sensor. I confirmed by swapping sides, code moved to the other side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom