P/S Pump on SBC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.crawlorado.com
Ok, im wondering if anyone could post up a pic, or describe to me their pump and pully setup on the Power Steering Pump for a Small Block... I got one that mounts low on the drivers side and has the reservoir built into it.. but looking at it i now think i need somthing elce because its in the way of where my Steering shaft will run to a GM Saginaw Box.. :whoops: Do i need the kind that bolts up a little higher and has a Remote Reservoir?? also how are your belts and pullys run?? right now i just have one belt and one slot on both pullys... Thanks guys! 8)

Are you running a long or short water pump?

In this case, the junkyard is your friend. Take a tape and some careful measurements of your existing pully depth and your guessed location for the pump. Then, start shopping. Brackets are FAR cheaper at a junkyard, and you should be able to find something that will bolt up. Make note of the mountings tho, some may not require head bolts, some require stock manifolds, etc. Lots of mounting options.

....That's what she said ... :doh:
(Sorry Woody .. couldn't stop myself)

i have a short pump.. about 5"
i will have to keep looking, but every pump that i see mounts low on the pass side, and on my cruiser it sits only about an inch away from the frame rail.. it looks as if it will be in the way once i run my steering shaft.. Thanks woody, yea i think im going to have to mix and match and do some shims and spacers in order to get this to work..

That's tough with the short pump. If you've got the room (from the fan to radiator) it might be easier to find a complete long pump pulley setup from a junkyard.

The short setup puts the accessories farther out to clear the block. The long keeps everything in front of the block.

If you're really running the short pump there will be more of a hassle. Passenger cars stopped running the short pumps in '69 so the brackets are a pain to find. I have a set but don't think you'd be able to use them in light of the steering shaft for your saginaw shaft. I use a short water pump (to make room for clutch fan) and because of the saginaw clearance issue opted for a PS pump designed for oval track racing. It mounts to the old motor mounts low on front of the block and tucks up under the block out of the way. Below is a link that includes a picture albeit I don't use an underdrive pulley and don't use a remote tank for the PS fluid. They aren't cheap but there are some that show up on EBay this time of year (end of season).

Picture:http://www.cantonracingproducts.com/pu_source/short_roadrace.html

ok, yea i have the room, i could go forward about 3 inches.. most everything that i have seen at the Junk yard is all long pump, what kinda Power Steering pump are you guys running, and where dose it sit.. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom