p/s pump leaking bad. What did I do?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

surfpig

The Anti-Tech
Threads
I did a mini truck p/s conversion about a year ago, install went without issues.

I decided I wanted better low-RPM boost, so I got a junkyard Vovo box (identical to the one I have, except with the right width pulley...), did the mods according to the redneck ram instructions, and swapped it in. A good amount of fluid was leaking out of one of the unused bolt holes (top rear) on the pump; I plugged it with a bolt and went ahead with bleeding the system.

Test drive was fine, significant increase in response over the un-modified pump, no squealing like my old pump, etc. Fine, except for that leak...

So I swapped back in my old pump, and the f:censor:r leaks like a sieve out of ALL the bolt holes! It was fine before...

So, what did I do to my p/s pumps?? Is there some kind of sealer that's supposed to go in there? They all seem like blind holes to me...

Am I screwed?

I don't think you are going to like what about to write. It sounds like you had some kind power steering that swells the O rings and hence it keeps pump from leaking. This only works for so long and after you have replace the seals. This is my guess. Hopefully You have to get a rebuilt one from an autopart store with a life warranty. Good Luck.

The resevoir is held on to the pump by all of those bolts. some of the holes are there for different applications,so they don't always get used but all of them need the proper bolts to not leak.

too tall said:
The resevoir is held on to the pump by all of those bolts. some of the holes are there for different applications,so they don't always get used but all of them need the proper bolts to not leak.

Is there some kind of O ring on the ones not used? My original installation didn't leak at all, and there was a simple plastic plug on the unused one. They all leaked when I put that original back on! WTF?

PabloCruise said:
Make sure you are using correct fluid.

Hondas require their own type of PS fluid. I think Toyota wants ATF. I do not know what you use to put a Sag pump on a Toy system...

All the recommendations were for ATF. I've run it that way for over a year, no problems... Literally, all I did was remove the pump, then put it back on. leaks out all the bolt holes now, not before.

Ok Surfpig...

If I understand what you are saying, you have a saginaw-style pump, and then a Volvo version of the same?

The res. has small square rings, similar to an oring, but with square edges, that seat in the pump, at the locations where the res and pump bolt together. These have probably moved and are what is causing your leaking issue....seen this more than a couple times...

Good luck!

-Steve

That sounds like a better idea yet, check the resovior like poser suggested. :)

Poser said:
Ok Surfpig...

If I understand what you are saying, you have a saginaw-style pump, and then a Volvo version of the same?

The res. has small square rings, similar to an oring, but with square edges, that seat in the pump, at the locations where the res and pump bolt together. These have probably moved and are what is causing your leaking issue....seen this more than a couple times...

Good luck!

-Steve

Yup, Volvo 240, late '70s "ham can" type pump.

These rings, are they where all the bolt holes are located? What do you have to do to check that? Can the "ham can" rotate on the pump thingie to disrupt the seals? How would you know?

Literally, all I did was remove the thing, then put it back on.

There are the square ring seals that I was talking about at any location that something goes into the res housing, and then into the pump. Even the pressure fitting connection has one.(it is larger) If the 'can' or res was loose on the pump it could easily move and break the seal on the can to the pump, (there is a large oring seal on the outer lip of the pump sealing the pump body to the res or 'can'), or distort/move the smaller rings out of position, and then you would have your leak. I would wash everything down with brake cleaner, blow it dry with comp. air, and see exactly where it is leaking from. There can only be a couple spots....

Good luck!

-Steve

Thanks for the info, Poser...

So, if I'm getting this right, the pump itself can rotate around the can and break the seals? Can I fix this?

How can I figure out if these inner seals are bad? everything was fine till I f:censor: d with it...

Am I just better off getting another pump?

Regards.

Surfpig....

Is that John on the Hog? ;)

surfpig said:
Thanks for the info, Poser...

So, if I'm getting this right, the pump itself can rotate around the can and break the seals? Can I fix this?

How can I figure out if these inner seals are bad? everything was fine till I f:censor: d with it...

Am I just better off getting another pump?

Regards.

Well the pumps are pretty cheap. The houseing cannot rotate around the pump. It cannot as long as the bottom outlet is in. Most likely the seals feel into the case or got pinched. You can fix this but it requires you to take it apart and align the seals up and who knows what has happened to the old ones if they fell down in the case.

Poser said:
Surfpig....

Is that John on the Hog? ;)

It was late last night... I just figured out what that meant! Pretty funny...

New pump it is. Probably should get a smog pump while I'm there, since it's now pumping ATF... :mad:

Sucess! (maybe...)

I swapped reservoirs on the two pumps I had, carefully cleaned all the mating surfaces, made sure the seals were in place, bolted it back up... and no leaks! Fired it up, ahhh, power steering. Even at low RPMs. No leaks. Right now... I'm happy...

:)

The way it SHOULD be....did you find any of those seals out of place or the ones around the pressure fitting damaged?

Congrats man!

:beer: :beer: :beer:

Poser said:
The way it SHOULD be....did you find any of those seals out of place or the ones around the pressure fitting damaged?

Congrats man!

:beer: :beer: :beer:

Not really. I was just very careful about putting it back together this time... I did turn the seals over, in case the surface was damaged... so far, no leaks... We'll see.

:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom