P.O.s ya got to love them !?!?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Normandy Park Wa. ........now in San Diego Ca.
Well if you read one of my earlier threads... I was having troublle at the smog shop with my 1980 Fj40. Passed the regular test with flying colors, but was having all kinds of trouble passing the evaporation test. For you people fortunate enough not to have to deal with the Cali smog rules. They replace your gas cap with one that has a nipple on it, then pinch off the hose that leaves you canister heading south. The pump 5psi into the cap and if you have any bleed off...........ya fail. :mad:
So after failing the first time... :hmm:I replaced every fuel line in the rig. Then I lowered the tank to replace both sender and fuel draw line gaskets..
STILL FAILED.....:mad::crybaby:
So today I dropped the tank....not as easy as it sounds..........and what did I find...??
The P.O. had installed an after market center console at one time....and in doing so..he not only drilled one but two holes thru the floor board and into the tank :doh:

Sounds like your smog laws have helped you find a problem that really did need fixing!

Your avitar says previously residing in Normandy Park and now SD....did you have to to through the trouble of resmoging your cruiser or did you have stuff already there? What a PITA..
I just bought my 75 FJ40 last May and I keep finding stuff someone thought was a "good idea"...

Sounds like your smog laws have helped you find a problem that really did need fixing!

Ya...luckly I am not a smoker.....would have found it soooooner

Your avitar says previously residing in Normandy Park and now SD....did you have to to through the trouble of resmoging your cruiser or did you have stuff already there? What a PITA..
I just bought my 75 FJ40 last May and I keep finding stuff someone thought was a "good idea"...

The 1974 FJ40, the HJ60 and a 1995 FZJ80(sold)-(couldn't afford to ship 3 cruisers) were our PNW toys. Picked up the 1980 FJ40 a few months ago in AZ.

Smog was a breeze in Wa. (closed hood). Here they are unbeleavably anal.

Miss the summers there....the winters...not so much !

Last edited:
well im very happy to say my fj40 will never have another previous owner. its never leaving my possession. only good thing i have found from my PO is paper work shoved in the glove box all the way back to 1/1976 and some lip stick :D. one of the PO's on the rig did not know how to weld worth a dam, so i have to re-weld above every weld on the SOA conversion. :(

Working on older rigs ,sometimes you have to throw out the repair manual and just use your eyes. Mike

ive owned my fj45 for 4 years and im still finding the po's stuffups that i get to repair

i think i welded up over 20 holes in the rear floor not rust but random screw/bolt holes here there and everywhere

Hey Chris,
I wanna come see your FJ's. Maybe I should just drop off your parts at your house!? :)

I'll be giving you a call later.

-Ian

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom