Owning a 60 series diesel in Tokyo Japan (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am looking for information on owning a diesel (specifically hj61) in Tokyo Japan.

I am in the US military and will be moving to Japan at the end of the month. I really would like a 60 series diesel as my daily driver around base and the outskirts of Tokyo, but I know Tokyo has strict restrictions on Diesel engines. Does this apply to vehicles older than 1990?

I will be stationed at Yokota Air Base for the next 3 years and living on base, and would like to get buy a 60 series diesel and take it back to the states when I am done with my tour here. I am under the impression citizens/visitors would not be able to register a diesel since it is so close to Tokyo. I am unsure if this also applies to military living on base.

I have asked amongst the military at my current base and no one has answer. I am guessing that I will just have to wait till I get there and ask, but just wondering if anyone here on the forum may have info on who has done it or been there and tried.

I have also heard (and unable to get confirmation from the military) that the military no longer ships personal vehicles bought in Japan back to the US from Japan.

Thanks for any help!!!

Last edited:
I know in sasebo all our vehicle registration went through the security office, so they should have a point of contact that would know. But it’s very possible that the regulations change from prefecture to prefecture

I know in sasebo all our vehicle registration went through the security office, so they should have a point of contact that would know. But it’s very possible that the regulations change from prefecture to prefecture

Ya I guess I’m going to have to wait till I get there. Thanks for the info.

TMO still ships back to the States as long as you do not have a car in gov storage. HJ61s are starting to go up in price over there now. I picked mine up in 2015 and comparing what I have to what's for sale now they have increased 5k atleast. Definitely shop around and don't settle on what you see at first. And go see it in person if possible. Those dealerships are really good at hiding rust in photos.

Check here for prices the English site is more expensive. But gives you an idea.
And another 1

I was at Misawa but heard the rumors about problems registering diesels in Tokyo, but I can not say for sure. You will have to get it inspected every year for JCI because of the weight an engine size. I don't know what pricing is for 100 plate vehicles.

I can try to help out if you have more questions. There should be plenty of Facebook groups for yokota that can help too.

Buy a 1HD T engine and gearbox and take it back to the US and instal it into a US 80 series.

Is this still true currently about TMO? Rumor has it that as of January 19 something changed although I cannot find it any AFI staying such... so maybe it is just a rumor.

And thank you for the links. I am going to have to get a translator for the second one.

I know with the bigger size vehicle it was going to cost more to own due to inspections, just wondering if I was going to be in the 100$-200$ range or closer to the 500$ range extra a year for that size vehicle.

As far as just finding an engine and bringing it back, that is something I have not thought about. I guess I’ll have to look and see the cost of such a project. I almost wonder if I would need the whole vehicle back in the states just in case parts are needed off of it for the new one.

Thanks again for the info.

I almost wonder if I would need the whole vehicle back in the states just in case parts are needed off of it for the new one.

You buy a thing called a "half cut" , usually the engine is still bolted to the chassis rails that have been cut off and you get everything in the engine bay. This will save you a lot of money. Many or all of the Japanese 80 series are 24 volt start, but you can easily convert them to 12v. The engine Im talking about is a 1HD T or 1HD FT, its a fairly reliable simple engine with enough power for most people. The HJ61 you mentioned has a 12HT, nice tough old school diesel but increasingly difficult to get parts for.

When it comes to parts for imported diesel landcruisers, Americans are not in the wilderness like they were a decade ago. There is a number of vendors on MUD that carry them in stock and Toyota have a limited selection of diesel parts in North America. The classifieds on MUD have a for sale and a wanted section. Lots of parts dont need to be Toyota OEM, like glow plugs,filters etc. Once a diesel is set up and running right, they can go for decades with nothing more than oil and filter changes.

When it comes to parts for imported diesel landcruisers, Americans are not in the wilderness like they were a decade ago. There is a number of vendors on MUD that carry them in stock and Toyota have a limited selection of diesel parts in North America. The classifieds on MUD have a for sale and a wanted section. Lots of parts dont need to be Toyota OEM, like glow plugs,filters etc. Once a diesel is set up and running right, they can go for decades with nothing more than oil and filter changes.

Does this apply to both 60 and 80 series diesels? I know u mentioned 60 diesel parts are hard to come by already.

I think a lot of vendors have moved on from the 60 series, there wasn't a lot of parts left in warehouses around the world. You can get the service parts, maybe a few engine parts. Most people would be relying on aftermarket or used parts to keep them going.
The non turbo 2H engine probably has more parts availability as it was it made in much larger numbers .
So most people are sourcing 1HZ and 1HD T for engine swaps, or buying an entire vehicle as you can still most parts new for these engines.

I have had no issues with parts for my HJ61. No you can not just goto AutoZone for 12ht/electrical related items and may have to get creative but parts are still available. But the 12ht is super simple and reliable and if maintained correctly you will not need to throw parts at it for a very long time. I stocked up on some engine parts before I left Japan and shipped the items back. I have not touched that box of parts for 3 years now.

If you are set on a 60 with 12ht don't let the parts worry you and get what you want. I debated the 60/70/80 to bring back and went with the 60, sure I second guess myself sometimes but driving the HJ61 is differnt experience and glad I picked it up. 80 series was my second choice.

This is exactly what I am pondering. I can take my time and look for a well maintained HJ61 while I am there and am able to stock up on parts, then have Uncle Sam bring it back. The only issue is I will need a car relatively quickly, and I don’t want to be buying a cheap car and pay the tax, shaken and JCI and then immediately sell it when I find a nice 61.

Another trouble is that what I am seeing in my price range ($10-12k USD) doesn’t look very well maintained. Am I wrong in thinking I will find something around this price with the turbo diesel?Am I going to have to raise my budget and/or look at something with more miles? Forgive me for the question as I have only been looking for the past 2 months since I found out I was going to be stationed in Japan.

Example:

This is missing wipers, rusty u underneath, looks to be repainted and has interior seats/parts swapped.

There are many listed for $20k or more with 250,000+ km but look like they have been well maintained.

Btw, did you find yours at an auction, dealership, or private sale?

Thanks.

You can find a car to get around with from the lemon lot on base or a dealership off base very cheap. Like 2k with JCI included.
I dont know the limit on vehicles at yokota but you may be able to get a waiver to have 2 or more.

You might want to keep saving for a nice one with no rust.. all the ones I looked at in your price range had so many rust issues, it just was not worth it. You should be making a good amount more for money with COLA, not trying to give a finance lecture but you can definitely use that to your advantage. Just be patient and you will find exactly what you are looking for.

I bought mine from a dealer I found from goo-net. I had a local talk to the dealer and had it shipped to me, I also got it with out JCI becuase I did not drive it at all, I parked it in my garage until it was time to leave and saved some money that way.

google "goonet" it's like the autotrader for Japan. I love my hj61, but you'll find some really sweet 80 series w/lockers for less/equal money than a 60. if you plan on going offroad, the 80 is far superior in every measure. If I ever sell my 61, I'm getting an 80.

I'd assume that the diesel restriction is for metro area residents, not SOFA personnel, so maybe that's not an issue. get a beater, start looking for the perfect truck, then make your move. Here in Okinawa you have to own a vehicle for 120 days before you can sell it; FYSA.

I was stationed at Yokota and left there in July 2016. I timed my purchase of an hj61 perfectly. I bought it through Chris Roberts via auction in April had it prepped to ship in May, I never really registered it in Tokyo or on base. I had the red slash plates on until I dropped it off in Yokohama. The process was pretty smooth but timing is important for a vehicle like that. It sucks you can’t own and register in Tokyo and some of the surrounding prefectures. Misawa and Okinawa are fair game. Good luck. Let me know if you need more info. Here’s a pic at the port and another in the states.

0A2A082E-340E-4703-8264-F882A69EDBB1.jpeg

DA24478E-62EA-40F9-866C-7C6857B44198.jpeg

You can find a car to get around with from the lemon lot on base or a dealership off base very cheap. Like 2k with JCI included.
I dont know the limit on vehicles at yokota but you may be able to get a waiver to have 2 or more.

You might want to keep saving for a nice one with no rust.. all the ones I looked at in your price range had so many rust issues, it just was not worth it. You should be making a good amount more for money with COLA, not trying to give a finance lecture but you can definitely use that to your advantage. Just be patient and you will find exactly what you are looking for.

I bought mine from a dealer I found from goo-net. I had a local talk to the dealer and had it shipped to me, I also got it with out JCI becuase I did not drive it at all, I parked it in my garage until it was time to leave and saved some money that way.
I had many cars during the 4 years I was there. With the end goal to leave the a landcruiser! You’re right own a fun beater till you leave and get what you really want to ship out. Unfortunately COLA has been drastically reduced. Too many personnel saying the money is good so they cut it at least 60% in some areas, yokota was one of the worse hit by the reduction. I was there when it happened from 400+ to 120 like that. You’re right about 1 car per licensed driver, but everything is waiverable, especially if you claim a “collectors” vehicle like the skyline fanboys.

Or get a nice 80 series gas and drive it around, you may fall in love with it and keep it. There’s always a market for those. One HUGE word of ADVICE I can give you... do not come back with crank windows. Driving into the gate everyday in the states would suck if you have to lean across to roll them down. Power windows only for US import right hand drive. My 2 cents for what it’s worth.

I can not speak for Japan but in the Philippines they would not export a vehicle without matching numbers. A guy at the embassy bought a fantastic BJ43 only to discover he could not get it back to the US due to an engine swap. I would not be surprised if Japan was the same.
Just another comment on due diligence.

I bet you have a blast over there.

60s have already ramped up in price, 80s are currently ramping up in price. Not saying you missed your window to get a 60, just saying you may have to pay more than you originally thought.

Getting parts in the states isnt really an issue, we have a ton of JDMs stateside at this point so most of the creativity needed is already documented.

This is exactly what I am pondering. I can take my time and look for a well maintained HJ61 while I am there and am able to stock up on parts, then have Uncle Sam bring it back. The only issue is I will need a car relatively quickly, and I don’t want to be buying a cheap car and pay the tax, shaken and JCI and then immediately sell it when I find a nice 61.

Another trouble is that what I am seeing in my price range ($10-12k USD) doesn’t look very well maintained. Am I wrong in thinking I will find something around this price with the turbo diesel?Am I going to have to raise my budget and/or look at something with more miles? Forgive me for the question as I have only been looking for the past 2 months since I found out I was going to be stationed in Japan.

Example:

This is missing wipers, rusty u underneath, looks to be repainted and has interior seats/parts swapped.

There are many listed for $20k or more with 250,000+ km but look like they have been well maintained.

Btw, did you find yours at an auction, dealership, or private sale?

Thanks.

I was indecisive at first. BJ40, 70, 60, LN106 (hilux).
Since I have a family I ruled out the 40. I was looking at 70 series but Body panels and other accessories would’ve been hard to get. So went with a 60, but if the right deal came available I would take any of the later.
I wanted low miles, manual, locking axles, etc, etc. Chris had my deposit and was at the auction sent me a picture and video and said this is the one. High miles (280k kms) auto, no lockers. I was bummed but mechanically and everything it was in great shape. Time was of the essence so I bought it. No regrets.

Like Drenmaster said, most parts are not impossible to acquire, it may take some research and sourcing but they’re out there. The oil filter is huge so those are special order, I get a lot of parts from Australia which can be surprisingly reasonable.
Don’t be discouraged. I had the same issues/concerns so I waited till the end but it was risky, I almost left empty handed.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom