Owl Expedition Products: Fire extinguisher mount, media mount, puddle lights, etc.

Ramathorn15

Supporting Vendor
When you say connector, are you referring to the air coupler/fitting to attach an air hose?
Yeah. That's the only thing that having a manifold would help as far as heat. Having the coupler/fitting directly attached to the compressor under the hood would get hotter than having it go through their manifold with the included metal braided lined. I've never had an issue in the NM desert heat, but I won't discount a manufacturers recommendation based on my single experience.

With all that said, there are a lot of ways around their $75 Manifold. It looks like event wits end sells a similar manifold for $20. I would guess that I'd spend similar or a tiny bit less making one myself.

Ramathorn15

Supporting Vendor
Need some true consumer input here. I finished the first workable prototype of the compressor mount/accessory tray. I'm mostly questioning if people will find the tray useful, or if it's overkill and not desirable.

Here are some pictures. I mounted a twin and a single to ensure they both fit.

This is the twin:
IMG_20200521_212648.jpg
IMG_20200521_212712.jpg

This is the single:
IMG_20200521_221022.jpg

The accessory tray wouldn't necessarily be required for the single since it has the manifold built in, but you'd probably want it for the twin if you're going to add the manifold.

Let me know what you guys think! I think the price point will be competitive, so don't think you're going to pay $200 for a mount + tray.

Open to any feedback/suggestions!

Need some true consumer input here. I finished the first workable prototype of the compressor mount/accessory tray. I'm mostly questioning if people will find the tray useful, or if it's overkill and not desirable.

Here are some pictures. I mounted a twin and a single to ensure they both fit.

This is the twin:
View attachment 2314976View attachment 2314977

This is the single:
View attachment 2314978

The accessory tray wouldn't necessarily be required for the single since it has the manifold built in, but you'd probably want it for the twin if you're going to add the manifold.

Let me know what you guys think! I think the price point will be competitive, so don't think you're going to pay $200 for a mount + tray.

Open to any feedback/suggestions!
I'm interested in your mount for the twin compressor and was interested as a simpler and cost effective option against the slee dual battery tray. but im not interested in a system that costs as much as the slee or more and only accomplishes 1/2 what the slee does. i don't have AHC so my interest in your mount is probably different than those who have AHC. i don't think you ned that big tray just to mount the manifold. and if customers with AHC is your target, they don't need room for 2nd battery related charge controllers and what not there. i also don't like how close it comes to the PS Res cap. it kinda blocks the view and it's already hard to see the level without that tray.

just my honest thoughts. ive been in business making things before and i know the value of honest feedback. i like your basic bracket that mounts just the compressor. if it could somehow tack on the manifold easily, that would be all you need imo.

Ramathorn15

Supporting Vendor
I'm interested in your mount for the twin compressor and was interested as a simpler and cost effective option against the slee dual battery tray. but im not interested in a system that costs as much as the slee or more and only accomplishes 1/2 what the slee does. i don't have AHC so my interest in your mount is probably different than those who have AHC. i don't think you ned that big tray just to mount the manifold. and if customers with AHC is your target, they don't need room for 2nd battery related charge controllers and what not there. i also don't like how close it comes to the PS Res cap. it kinda blocks the view and it's already hard to see the level without that tray.

just my honest thoughts. ive been in business making things before and i know the value of honest feedback. i like your basic bracket that mounts just the compressor. if it could somehow tack on the manifold easily, that would be all you need imo.
Thank you for the honest feedback. I will say, I designed it so the level indicators on the reservoir for both the AHC and PS are still easily visible. You are confirming my suspicion that the tray may not be useful or desirable for most. I find it useful since it's where I house my water pump for my onboard system, but most don't have that.

I'll be back tomorrow with a simpler mount for the manifold! :cheers:

guardcompany

Shea
SILVER Star
I don't need the tray either. I just need a simple cheap mount w/manifold that doesn't make me move a ton of stuff around. I need to get it installed in the next month so I'm rooting for you!

Ramathorn15

Supporting Vendor
What do you guys think?? This still required movement of the headlight heat sink thing, and if you have an '05+ you have to move the fuel pump resistor (will include a bracket for that. Shown in last photo).

IMG_20200522_131747.jpg

IMG_20200522_131742.jpg

IMG_20200522_131730.jpg

Ramathorn15

Supporting Vendor
Also, I really like having the manifold horizontal vs vertical that you see most often. Makes getting to all the ports much easier.

Cross posting this as it's being added to my product list soon.

Finally got off my ass and got a final prototype done up. There were a few things I wanted to change from the original design to make install a bit easier and to make the mount more adjustable.

So here are the benefits:

1. Can be used with a twin or single in an AHC or non AHC truck
2. The compressor can be slid forward or back a bit to dial in the location you want. With the twin, the adjustment is very minimal, but with the single you can really move it around to get it where you like.
3. I didn't use the bolt hole that the alarm(?) horn is on. This makes getting to the compressor bolts much easier. I also adapted one of the heatsinks so it can mount out of the way (closest to the ahc reservoir) and also make getting the bolts much easier. This also eliminated any funkyness with having to mount over that factory bracket.
4. 1/8 steel so it's very stout
5. A good bit of time was taken to ensure this is sitting as high as possible so that the fan below can get a good amount of air. I also made sure its just low enough to add a 90° to the intake ports so you can run then to the airbox if you so desire.
5. Mounted as close to the fender as possible, which was the driver for #3, so that there's plenty of room to access the output without hitting the power steering reservoir.

Let me know what you guys think. Im going to run and get an estimate on powder coating, but I may also do bare steel if there's interest. I'm going to ballpark it at $60-75 powder coated and shipped.

View attachment 2307275View attachment 2307276View attachment 2307277View attachment 2307278
Can you post the measurements? Looking to see if the viar 400p would Mount to that

Ramathorn15

Supporting Vendor
Can you post the measurements? Looking to see if the viar 400p would Mount to that
The distance between the slots is 2.3125". The slots are. 7.875" long, so I'm sure it would fit on that dimension. Let me know if you think it would work.

Kabanstva

SILVER Star
Ramy this is a great option for people with AHC in their trucks. Very cool to see new products surfacing. I would get this for sure if I already didn't have my Slee tray and AHC deleted.

A bit off topic, but which fire extinguisher mounts are you using again? I'm getting around to installing some stuff I've gathered over the winter and trying to get some ideas.

Top Bottom